Honeycrisp

A/N: Dev's at it again, oh boy. I'm exhausted and covered in sunburn, and I still don't have a voice after a full month. So of course, everyone must suffer. Though there may not actually be a lot of suffering in this particular chapter.

The Midnight Society, btw, is a small nod to the 90's show "Are You Afraid of the Dark?" Loved that show.

Enjoy(?)

Nightmare had dreaded the planned supply raid, and he would have preferred not to do it at all. Alas, as much as he allowed his own body to go without, he couldn't do the same for those under his watch. When Error had casually mentioned an empty AU he planned to destroy, Nightmare was a tad bit suspicious. He said nothing of it, however, as Error opened a portal for them before making an excuse about having a line of worlds to wreck. Nightmare chose not to question it, too tired to genuinely care what the other's hidden agenda was.

He couldn't complain, really, with how smoothly things were going. The lack of monsters meant little resistance to their efforts, which in turn meant Nightmare could just sit back while the others worked. He lazily followed their movements with his eye, monitoring all of them despite the lack of danger. Horror looked more than pleased as he secured a decent amount of food and scraps for the group, ever one to panic if their stocks began to fall. Nightmare had spent many nights in the kitchen, settled at the table with Horror hunched onto the ground in a blind panic. No amount of reassurance that they were never in any danger of running out of food could soothe his damaged mind.

N̶i̶g̶h̶t̶m̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶k̶n̶e̶w̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶t̶o̶o̶k̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶w̶a̶r̶m̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶d̶r̶i̶n̶k̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶f̶o̶r̶t̶a̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶s̶i̶l̶e̶n̶c̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶g̶e̶t̶ ̶h̶i̶m̶ ̶t̶h̶r̶o̶u̶g̶h̶ ̶i̶t̶.

Nightmare gave a long sigh as Dust and Killer wrestled in the snow, their gathered items scattering as they roughhoused. "Just because this mission is simple doesn't mean you should take it any less seriously!" He hissed as Dust shoved snow into Killer's face with a sadistic grin. "Aw, c'mon Boss." Dust remarked as Killer swiped at him with his knife. "We never get to just fuck around in other universes without someone showing up to ruin the fun." Nightmare rolled his eyelight at the ridiculous complaint. "Yeah!" Killer managed to flip Dust onto his front, shoving his face down into the snow. "We know you're keeping watch, no one's gonna get the drop on us."

Nightmare puffed himself up a bit more at this statement. "Of course I'm keeping guard. Someone has to make sure none of you die." He remarked with a slight glower. Killer snickered a bit as he sat on Dust's back to pin him. "Thanks, Boss! You're the best!" He commented as they continued to scuffle in the snowy terrain. Nightmare said nothing in response, though the faint warmth in his soul soothed the ever-present ache that was there anymore. He allowed himself to relax a little as they gathered supplies between their antics, though Horror never stopped to participate in any of their childish behaviours. Nightmare closed his eye a moment as a new thought entered his mind.

Who would watch over them all when he was gone?

He knew Error would always keep an eye on the wily bunch, but it had always fallen onto Nightmare to keep them sheltered and alive. The endless planning, the paperwork, negotiations between the worlds he claimed; all of it, in the end, wasn't just for himself, not anymore at least. All of these alliances and territory claims were to keep them all protected and looked after, and without Nightmare there to do it, things could go south quickly. He needed to get back to work in his study if he was going to catch up, and then he needed to consider penning a will to sort out his affairs. This way, he wouldn't be leaving them scrambling and unsupported at his end. Despite his brashness and aloof behaviour, he knew Killer was a good righthand man to leave everything to. With help from Error, of course. He couldn't imagine Killer going unattended those first few months without someone there supporting him.