I watch as the world around me crumbles. Fire is everywhere and the city is falling apart. Happy endings... what are those? I've had it so stuck in my mind that it's this nice, lovely ending that people get to enjoy. But now it's hitting me--those are only in fairytales. And this? This is not one of those. The chances of us getting a happy ending are very slim right now... and I feel my heart grow heavier than before at that realization.

I feel Minho pull me back behind cover as Thomas squishes his body into Newt, holding his arm over the blonde and I. "Stay down, stay down!"

Newt looks into my eyes. "Don't you dare let that brightness dim right now." It takes me a second to register what he said, as I can't bring myself to even believe he said it. His voice was so low and quiet, and it was only audible to me.

Suddenly, Gally stands up as Minho and Thomas pull Newt back over their shoulders. I stand up and follow as the boys struggle to escape the situation. Gally guides us into a building as the battle goes on right outside the door.

I find myself having a harder time breathing as I get panicky. Thomas contacts Brenda, telling her that we aren't going to make it. This whole thing feels like the biggest slap to the face.

How stupid could I have been to believe that we could've actually pulled this off?

I look at Newt, the veins spreading more up his face as he looks like he can pass out any second. Without thinking, I rest my head on the boy's chest, hugging him. He wraps his arm around me as I close my eyes, trying to find the comfort of being in his arms.

"I love you so bloody much, Clementine," the boy whispers in my ear.

"I love you too, Newt," I mumble into his chest.

"Our ride's here! Just look for us near the tunnels," Brenda's voice erupts from the walkie.

My head shoots up as I look at Thomas, before exchanging looks with the rest of the boys. That little sliver of hope begins to grow inside me again.

━◦○◦━◦○◦━◦○◦━◦○◦━◦○◦━◦○◦━

We're making our way through the city again--Thomas and Minho now basically dragging Newt's body as Gally and I lead.

"Alright," Gally announces. "Newt, we're almost there."

"Just leave me," the boy mumbles.

I turn around, walking backwards as I glare at the boy. "You're crazy if you think we're leaving you. Do you hear me? We're almost there. You're going to be okay."

Regardless of the little lecture I gave him, I can't help but notice the doubt poking at my guts. I want to ignore it, I do. But I feel like it's eating me up from inside.

Suddenly, a car is thrown through the street we were about to cross as more people charge from that direction. It sends Gally and I flying backwards. We all sit down for a moment against the wall of the building. Thomas leans Newt up against the wall as I take a look at the boy.

Black liquid is starting to spill from his mouth, and his eyes don't hold the purity they once did. I look into the black orbs, seeing nothing but emptiness and sorrow. The veins are almost all over his face now.

A loud whirring noise is heard from above, as we all look up. We watch as a berg flies across the sky, making their way towards the direction of the tunnels.

"That's them," Thomas shouts.

I look back at Newt. "We're almost there, okay? They're just right there. Everything's going to be okay, Newt."

Happy Endings... - Newt x Reader | Book 3On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara