15

I walked into the school cafeteria with Nancy, we were talking about our first article for the paper. It had been a week since we got selected to write, but we hadn't gotten assigned to an article yet. Today that changed though, in our News meeting before school we got assigned to write the story on the Winter Dance that was coming up, the Snow Ball. 

It was for Freshman, Sophomores, and Juniors, but we weren't allowed to participate, so we were trying to figure out how to write an interesting piece without actually experiencing it. We had to go, but we couldn't bring dates or even just friends, all that we could do was stand by and watch as everyone had fun. I felt like we were being set up for failure, I mean who wants to read a piece about a dance that they went to, especially one written by people who aren't interested in writing it. Nancy was set on making the article amazing, but I knew there wasn't much we could do with it. 

"We could maybe spin it into something about the outdatedness of it all? Write about how the boys always have to ask the girls, and not the other way around." Nancy suggested.

I tilted my head, "I don't know, that could be a part of it, but we've got to find something else too, something actually interesting."

I walked over to our usual table, sitting across from Steve and Robin. They weren't looking at each other, each staring at their food like they were about to fall asleep. I didn't get anything to eat, the food at our school was one step away from poisonous.

"Hey." Nancy said.

No response from either of them. I snapped my fingers in front of their faces, trying to wake them up. 

"Sorry- what are you guys talking about?" Robin asked, her voice sounding groggy.

"The dance." We said together.

"Oh when's that happening?" Steve asked, clearly not interested. 

"Have you not seen the posters all around the school?" I asked.

"Nope." He said.

"It's on the 13th." I said.

"When's the 13?" Robin asked.

"Friday. As in two days." I said, looking at her like she was an idiot.

Robin's eyes widened, "Shit Nance, uh should I like properly ask you or something?" She said, turning to face her.

Nancy smiled, "You can if you want but I can't go with you, we're covering it for the paper and we're not allowed to bring dates."

"Oh. Okay." Robin said, disappointed. 

"It's okay we can always see each other after!" Nancy said, trying to make Robin feel better.

"Okay." Robin said, happy again. 

Steve started speaking, not yet finished eating his food, "Why don't you come with me Rob? We can wear matching suits."

I smacked his hand, "Chew with your mouth closed!"

He made a surprised face and put his hands up behind his head. I laughed and took a sip of his water.

"So." Nancy said slowly, moving her salad around with a fork, "Did you hear Mike is taking El to the dance."

"Okay? Is that weird?" Robin asked.

"Nope." She said, still looking down, not making eye contact with anyone.

I furrowed my brows, what is she not saying?

"Every one of his friends has a date. Mike and El, Dustin and a girl named Jackie, Will and a girl named Cassidy, and Lucas. With Max."