14

On Thursday, after the last period bell ran, Robin met me outside of the parking lot. I was leaning across my car, scanning the crowd for Nancy, and Max, although I didn't tell Robin that. Nancy walked out a few minutes after Robin joined me, she was wearing her hair up and looked high strung, as though something was bothering her. When she reached us she got in the backseat immediately, not muttering a word to either of us. 

I looked at Robin, but she looked just as confused as I. I opened the drivers side door and climbed in, my head turned to face Nancy. She sat with her arm propped up on the window, hand covering her face. 

"What's wrong Nance?" I asked her. 

She looked at me and opened her mouth in distress, but didn't say anything. Instead the held out a piece of paper, rolled up. I took it and unrolled it, laughing at what I saw. In big red circled pen, a B+ was written on top of Nancy's English essay.

"Are you kidding?" I said, showing Robin the paper. 

Robin laughed too, "Nancy, this is not a big deal! You know you're an incredible writer, you don't need someone old ass teacher to tell you that!" She said. 

Nancy chewed on the inside of her lip. 

"I've never gotten a grade that low." She muttered quietly.

I looked at Robin and tilted my head at her, signaling she should go back there. It took her a while but Robin got the hint and climbed back over to Nancy. She put her arm around her and hugged her, Nancy hugging back. 

I turned back around and pushed my keys into the ignition and twisted, starting the car. The radio turned on and I mindlessly listened as I drove to Nancy's house. We always studied together at her house on Thursdays, but we probably would do less of that and more gossiping about whatever it is was on our minds. In this case, Max was all that was on my mind. I couldn't get her out of my head. 

I hoped that I captivated her thoughts as much as she did mine. We had met in the closet to talk, sort things out, but I left more confused than before. After two days I still hadn't told Nancy about it, and I wanted too, so bad, but I couldn't of even describe it if I tried. I mean what would I have said? 'Yeah Nance, you know Max Mayfield, the Freshman? Yeah well I like her, a lot, and we had sex, but I don't know if she likes me, because we met in a closet to talk, but then we just ended up almost having sex again!'

Nancy spoke to me before I got the chance to start, "So... Alex, got anything you want to tell me?"

I glared at Robin through the rearview mirror.

"Robin, just cause she's your girlfriend doesn't mean you get to tell her my secrets." I said.

Robin looked at Nancy nervously, "She's not my g- we haven't decided on anything yet." 

"Oh bullshit." I said.

"Yeah bullshit!" Nancy said.

Robin's eyes widened, "I didn't want to- I didn't know if you wanted to be."

Nancy rolled her eyes, "You're so stupid." 

I smiled at her.

"So do you want to be?" Robin asked.

Nancy looked at Robin like she was an idiot.

"Of course she wants to be Rob." I said. 

Robin smiled to herself. 

"Hey wait!" She said to me, "Don't act like you weren't going to tell her anyway!" 

I pursed my lips and shrugged my shoulders.