Chapter 8

Long chapter ;)

Azura

  "Right here." I point out the passenger side window. It's a brick house with flower beds and a well-maintained garden.

  I don't know what I expected a funeral home to look like but this wasn't it.

  Miles pulls into a parking spot. We take a second to stare at the building in front of us.

  "So. What are you going to ask?"

  "The events of 17 years ago."

"Well, this is a funeral home. I imagine there are a lot of events."

"Just shut up." I roll my eyes and exit the car before he can say something else.

He catches up with me quickly and we knock on the door.

The door opens and behind is a lady who seems to be in her 60s. She looks kind and like she's the one who made this garden.

"Hello there. How may I help you?" Her voice is so sweet and calming. I smile.

"I wanted to ask you a question regarding what happened a couple years ago."

"Oh, of course. Come in and sit down." She ushers us in and she hurries down the hallway. "Let me just get some tea. Sit down anywhere you'd like."

We sit down on the couch and wait. She comes back with a tray and sets it down on the coffee table.

"I had just arrived this morning to clean a little. We have a funeral tomorrow." She informs us.

"Oh, I'm sorry to interrupt you. I won't take much of your time."

"Nonsense. Don't worry, hun."

"Do you happen to remember what happened 17 years ago? Around July and August? There was a funeral for Nicola Lockhart."

Something flashes through the woman's eyes. Something like recognition. She's silent for a second.

"You were the baby in Mr. Horne's arms." She remembers. I nod.

"My. I remember like it was yesterday. It's as if you knew she was gone. You were wailing like you were in pain. Like you knew." The woman looks at her hands and shakes her head. "I felt horrible for you and your father. He seemed so heartbroken. He couldn't keep himself together during the funeral. He was sobbing with you. Patting your back while he himself was crying into your shoulder. My god, I ended up crying too just watching you two. I almost felt his heart aching. It was so- tragic."

"I-" I tried to say something. But I couldn't without breaking. I was having trouble swallowing down the sob.

"Do you remember what happened after the funeral?" Miles speaks up. I was thankful for that.

"Well, everyone left. The men came by to bury the casket. I went inside to clean up."

"Do you remember what the men did? Did they actually bury the casket?" I lean forward as I ask each question.

"They buried the hole. And there wasn't a casket left, so I believe so."

"Do you have any camera surveillance?"

"We empty them every couple months."

"Do you remember the company name?" I'm itching for some information. Something. A lead to finding my mother.

"Uhm. I believe it was something with Angels in it. I can't remember that well."

Miles and I share a look.