Although Alvarez and his wife had been trying their best to make her feel more comfortable, she still couldn't help but feel like some sort of intruder.

Earlier today, she had calculated all the cash she had left with her and it hadn't amounted to even half of what she could manage at all. It wasn't enough to feed her for a week, or transport her to any far distances not that she even knew any place in New York at all.

She had considered options she had, which included getting a job, but after the media incident, and the fact that she had been painted in such a bad light she doubted if she could show her face in public again.

Even if she did would anyone be willing to hire her? She was so tired of living like some kind of fugitive.

All because she had accidentally spilled drinks on a two-thousand dollar dress and...

She was so lost in thought that she didn't notice Alvarez's pregnant wife walk into the living room, a bag of groceries in her hand.

"Madison?"

Snapping out of her thoughts, as she heard her name, Madison quickly raised her head to see the pretty young woman standing opposite her with a worried look on her face.

Her face reddening embarrassment, she quickly stood from the sofa, "I'm so sorry, did you say something?"

"No, no. I just came to see if you were okay. I'm about to make dinner. I was going to ask if there was anything you would specifically prefer."

Madison cringed at the thought of requesting a certain kind of food in someone else's house, when she was squatting and not the other way round.

Who was she to request a food, adding to their upkeep burden? Besides, she had accepted a lot from Alvarez but she surely wasn't that shameless to even think of making choices!

She shook her head, a small smile on her face, "Anything you make is fine by me." Moving forward, she relieved her of the grocery bag, "I'll take that. Let me help you with dinner. I can be off help to, instead of sitting here idly."

The kind woman smiled, and said warmly, "Sure. Thank you, that would be lovely. Honestly I have been craving some company. It gets really lonely at home here sometimes. My daughter is engrossed with whatever in her room, and Alvarez is over at work. I'm bored." She said jokingly as she led Madison into the kitchen, "You can start by slicing these." She added, moving a bowl of vegetables toward Madison and nodding, pulling up her sleeves and washing her hands first then the vegetables, she took to work.

As she began to slice them, with the other woman at work too, she heard out of the blue, "So how did you meet Alvarez? I'm just curious to know how he was as a teenager." Alvarez's wife asked and laughed.

Madison froze, her chest squeezing in pain as the memories of the past flashed through her mind.

She thought of the best way to tell Alvarez's wife about his teenage self, without mentioning the other person she didn't wish to think of but it was so freaking impossible ...

After a few moments of silence, she smiled, "Alvarez is pretty much the same, to be honest. Of course he's even kinder and gentler than before, which is surprising but great because most people change as they grow older, and for some, those qualities become worse instead of better."

"Really?" His wife beamed with pride continuing, "That's great, I'm glad he changed for the better. What else though? Let's not forget I really want to know... How did you guys meet?"

Madison gave another small smile, her heart tugging as she began her tale.

"He used to work at this tiny shop. The first time we met, we instantly clicked. And he was the goofiest person I have ever met." Madison narrated, unable to control her laughter now. "He used to help me sneak out of my house, to watch these amazing circus shows. And he was the one who taught me how to ride a bike for the first time. There was this crazy dance he used to do when he got excited, we shared so many wonderful moments." Madison giggled genuinely this time around, surprisingly warm and happy.

Alvarez's wife looked surprised, "Wow. Goofy? That's definitely a first for me." She laughed but quickly added, "Don't get me wrong he's a sweet husband and father. But I don't think I've ever seen him as goofy as you're describing. Well except when he's playing with our daughter, Ivy."

Madison shrugged, "Life changes people, I guess. But Alvarez is still great the way he is. He had so many dreams, so much determination. And now he's achieved every single one of them, including being married to a beautiful, amazing wife, I'm so proud of him."

"He's all right. Alvarez's wife shrugged in mock indifference, bursting into a fit of laughter when Madison looked at her, "I'm just joking!" She quickly defended, and this time Madison facepalmed, as they both began to giggle uncontrollably.

The sound of the front door opening caught their attention, and Madison looked up to see Alvarez walk into the kitchen. The smile on his face looked somewhat forced, Madison noticed but didn't ask immediately.

"Hey honey." His wife greeted, turning on the tap to rinse her hand first before wobbling to Alvarez as fast as her heavy stomach would let her. She leaned in for an embrace which he gladly gave, kissing the top of her head lightly.

Madison watched the couple, a faint smile on her face.

When Alvarez's eyes met hers though, he just raised his hand in a weak wave before giving his wife one last kiss and exiting the kitchen.

Madison clutched the kitchen towel tightly in her right hand, as she felt a bad feeling going down her spine.

Something was wrong. Something was definitely wrong, she was very sure and she could feel it.

That look in Alvarez's eyes...she was almost certain that something had happened and it was not good. Worse off she had a sinking feeling, that it had something to do with her.

Alarmed and deciding to get to the bottom of it, she turned to Alvarez's wife who was now stirring the steaming tomato sauce in the pot, singing to some song in her head.

Dropping the kitchen towel on the counter after thoroughly cleaning her hand, she turned to her and mumbled, "I'll be right back."

Not waiting for a response, Madison swiveled towards the kitchen exit, and with worry and fear in her heart, she quickly followed behind Alvarez.