Vacancy

"Painted windows there for me,

Painted windows so I see."

________________________ERIK______________________

Some part of him found it ironic, in a way, although deeply discouraging. Erik found over the years his history of prayer had proved dodgy in its fruition at best. Maybe it was because he never knew exactly who to pray to, there was no pull of faith within him that presented itself. His mother had always seemed so sure in her belief, whispering german prayers to the brass star around her neck. Sylvia believed in cosmic things, the stars and the Earth and the breeze on her neck, in that she seemed peaceful. But, Erik, he never found that. The closest thing to a holy experience he ever felt was the first time Charles had kissed him. He thinks he could have believed in something then, some higher entity that was so graciously on his side. Something that said Miracles could happen and they could happen to him. But, even then he just believes his faith was in Charles, always in Charles. If his mother was right and love was the basis of religion, was it wrong to find his religion in Charles? He tried not to think too deeply into that, for fear of conclusion.

This morning, though, he had to find it ironic, cruel even, the way his prayer had been flipped and ripped into some version of an answer he didn't want. He replayed the phone call in his mind, figuring out which way to best break the news to Charles. He really couldn't do any more surprises, not right now. They needed stability and assurance, something to keep their feet planted in one place for a while. They didn't need the cafe going to shit. Some part of Erik knew that leaving it to his mother wasn't the best option. She had little experience in the field and found no joy in the work. She was getting older, finding peace in her own routine and he had felt bad to ask of her this thing. Erik just hated the idea of having to leave to go across the world to fix the issue, he hated the idea of leaving Charles here.

"You're making that dreadful Old Man Face," Sylvia giggled as she emerged from the hall and into the small living room. Eri had been pacing for the past hour and a half, seeking solutions in the carpet path he had created.

"Morning to you too." Erik responded, distracted.

"What's happened?" Sylvia frowned and stepped to stop his pacing.

"It's the cafe, my mother can't run it anymore, everything is behind and shipments are getting messed up. We are on the brink of a seasonal change with no plan in sight on menu options which means we can't put in orders for supplies and if we wait—" Erik began ranting, his words spewing out in a long string of panic.

"Colette and I can go take care of it." Sylvia spoke so calmly in comparison to her cousin.

"What?" Erik asked.

"It's fifty percent mine, don't forget. Colette and I are just taking care of Strawberry anyway, we can take her with us and watch the house too. Get it all figured out, the last thing you should be worried about is the cafe, okay?" Sylvia smiled softly and embraced her cousin, he squeezed her.

"Just promise me you'll wait to ask the big question until we get back, okay?" Sylvia spoke encouragingly.

"I doubt that will be anytime soon, but I promise." Erik spoke solemnly.

"Chin up, it's a new day and I just fixed Big Problem Number Two on your list. Now, go get back in bed with lovely Charles and I will take care of the rest."

Erik nodded and kissed his cousin on the forehead, grateful every moment for her, she shooed him away and he took a deep breath and began his ascension of the steps.

_____________________

Raven woke up with as much grace and balance she could muster considering going cold turkey. She had attempted to sleep, but barely made it past the hour without waking in a pile of sweat. Eventually, she had fallen asleep in the bathroom, the tile floors cool enough and the toilet close enough. It was funny, in a way, how in order to break a habit you have to parallel it.