Words

"It's not the words you say,

but how you say it."

____________________________________________

"Marina, w-what are you doing here?" Charlie's voice stuck in his throat, an inky panic shivering up and down his spine. The situation was already fragile as it stood, much less without the added pressures of Marina in the house. He felt bad for feeling that way, he knew she was only here because she cared, but more than anything he really needed her to leave. His eyes caught the staircase in his vision, he prayed Raven just went to sleep after her shower.

"My flight got in last night, I texted but my phone died halfway here. Just figured we could have breakfast and touch base this morning," Marina spoke with a chirp, as per saul, but there was something missing there. A forcefulness to it now that wasn't there before, Charlie looked at Erik. Marina hauled the plastic bags of blueberry scented goodness to the kitchen and out of sight, Erik sped over to Charlie in a moment.

"This is less than ideal," Charlie peaked over Erik's shoulder to make sure Marina was out of earshot.

"What do you want to do? I can tell her to leave, it's Marina she'll get it," Erik rubbed circles into Charlie's back as he thought of a solution.

"No, no she came all this way. We will just have to be sure that she and Raven don't cross paths. Raven is supposed to be taking a nap, so hopefully she sticks to that." Charlie smiled his usual smile and straightened his back.

"You good?" Erik asked.

"I will be."

Charlie, Erik and Marina sat at the kitchen table, a smaller less extravagant version of the dining room table. It was light oak, stained with a light colored green color that made it look like clovers. It had been the table where Charlie and Raven spent the majority of their time growing up, whenever they were being watched by the nanny they were to stay away from the main parts of the home. Hidden away, well behaved and performatively happy when needed. The family required it, and Charlie and Raven got rather good at it. And when the time came for lunches to be held over wine and conversation, the oak table was left to its own devices once again. Charlie admired the way it sustained itself, the worn wood and small stains from childhood mishaps.

"How was the flight then?" Charlie smiled and played with the pancake on his plate. He couldn't bear to stomach anything right now.

"Oh, it was good. Nothing crazy, just got in late." Marina shrugged, she wanted to ask him about Raven. He knew that, but he didn't know how to answer. So, instead the silence sat between them, like ripples in the water. It expanded, and expanded until finally:

"How is she?" Marina attempted, her voice cracked a little, breaking from the pressure, like coal being squeezed of oxygen, to become diamonds.

"Uhm, well, I–" Charlie stared at Marina, eyebrows creasing and tongue like lead. WHy was he having trouble lying? Why couldn't he come up with something?

"She's okay, had a rough couple of days but things have settled." Erik answered, cutting into Charlie's unfinished thoughts.

"Is she here?" Marina was gripping her fork tightly, a nervousness to it all.

"Yes, but she's sleeping. She needs her rest. Sylvia and Colette are staying here too, they're out on a walk of the grounds right now. Stretching their legs." Charlie spoke softly, his voice was tight. He hated it.

"Right, of course."

"Look, Marina I know—"

"I've done a lot of research on this stuff, the trauma and the generational things that go into it all. I think I have a good plan on how to help her if— gosh where did I put it?" Marina dug through her tote bag with a frown, Erik and Charlie both could tell she was zoning out. Sailing off into her own thoughts.