One

"What colour are your lights?"

Mae stared at her phone as the same sentence kept reccuring inside her mind. She had just done her nails and was just distracting herself to pass time as the polish on her nails dried. She was not one to do intricate nail designs. So she just opted for a plain light mint green.

The colour of her lights. Mae had told her sister that she got new fairy lights for her room. She had them put around the walls in her room, and yes, she wouldn't have done them herself. Cassie, her younger sister, was always amazed at whatever new thing Mae did. So when Mae got new lights and didn't hesitate to tell Roman, she wasn't surprised.

Cassie was always interested in whatever Mae did. Roman being one of them.

Mae put her phone down and rolled her eyes. Was this an attempt of conversation? How was she supposed to reply to that?

What colour are your lights?

Roman had sent that message three days ago, and Mae didn't know if she should respond. She sat at the dinning table that Sunday afternoon, overthinking as always.

What's he doing right now anyway?

If there was a more complicated set of people, it was them. Mae knew.

Sunday afternoon served as a reminder, one she didn't know what to feel about.

A door was heard opening.

"Mae? Mom said you'd be home!"

Cassie, in all her glory, entered the kitchen before going to the dinning spot. And there Mae was, a cup empty of whatever contents, two small glass bottles of nail polish, and the girl herself, a not-so-pleased expression on said girl. Cassie almost snorted.

"And where are you usually on a Sunday afternoon?"

"Don't talk to me Cassie." Mae grabbed her phone from the table, pretending to be busy in it when really, she hadn't left the message tab. Cassie sat across from her at the dinning table. She stared at her older sister longingly, glad that she was the first face she saw when she entered the house. It might not seem like it, but Cassie really adored Mae. Her posture, expressions, and even her way of talking screamed maturity, according to her.

"You're gonna live in a small apartment your entire life, depending on three cats for emotional comfort at this rate." Cassie mused.

Mae gasped. "Take that back!" Mae hated cats.

"Not when you haven't left the house in three days!"

"Oh please! You act like I'm quite the extrovert, Cassie." Said Mae, an eye roll following after.

"Did you talk to Roman recently?" Cassie asked, a mischievous smile gracing her lips. Mae absolutely loved how she could bring up his name without knowing what kind of effect it had on her. As much as she cared about her sister, she never liked speaking about him to her. She would try and get involved with her life then, and she didn't want that at all. Wasn't there supposed to be a boundary between friends of siblings?

"Yes, actually." Mae says, without a care. "We have the same Math class." The lie fell graciously from her lips. They had no class together, a relief, he said it was. She tried not to think further about that. Engaging her sister in conversation was the last thing she wanted to do that afternoon.

"Whatever you say Mae." Cassie grinned. "Because I told him you were home when I bumped into him at the park earlier."

That definitely caught her attention. "What do you want Cassie?" She lifted her head, annoyance displayed on her features. "I'm not really in the mood." She glanced at her cup, confirming it empty, before making a mental note to make more coffee.

"You seemed out if it, so I thought I could cheer you up." She merely shrugged.

"And does that concept involve you telling him about my fairy lights? My lights? Seriously Cassie? When did you even enter my abode?"

"I was just talking to him. Is that wrong?"

"How many times have I told you not to talk to him? You clearly didn't even know what to talk to him about. My lights?"

While Mae thought she was justified for her anger, Cassie thought she was being irrational.

This normally wouldn't have affected her like this. "You know what? Fuck coffee." She stood from where she was seated, pulling down her slightly ridden-up shorts before leaving for her room, right after disposing her empty cup in the sink. Mae didn't hear her sister talk afterwards, therefore proceeding to slam her door shut.

Mae glanced at her lights, flopping on her bed after wards. She took a breath in and closed her eyes. Thinking where she could have been that day. It didn't shock her that Cassie was surprised to find her at home that afternoon. She was never home on Sunday evenings. She could almost feel the sun light grace her features, from her eyes to her chin. Two fingers would the brush across her lips before she felt a soft pair pressed against hers.

Two fingers? Lips?

The sun didn't have fingers or lips.

"And it was all yellow."

Mae opened her eyes with a start. While in her position, she tried to feel for her phone somewhere one the bed. She retracted it to her chest.

What colour are your lights?

With a groan, Mae concluded she was utterly fucked.

🔸🔸🔸

🔸Chapter one of Yellow. And I'm so excited as to how the book will turn out. This book was born impulsively but I'll try as much as possible to bring it up accordingly.

🔸Enjoy. And don't forget to vote because, come on, some love would be appreciated?

Have a great day~