18.

I couldn't remove my stoic expression. Sitting across from me was Livia, perfectly curled hair framing her manicured face. She sat with a champagne flute between her painted nails, carefully sipping amongst the turbulence. Her back rested across an Accardi Air seat, the family emblem embroidered into the upholstery. Her select bridesmaids were seated around her, in pivoting chairs surrounding a small table.

I didn't have the courage to remove myself from the airplane cabin and cry in the bathroom. Instead I choked down my tears, pushing away any thought of him. This situation felt too fresh to move on from. I wanted to mention the deal, but couldn't expose how I knew about it.

If someone asked me what's wrong, I wouldn't know what to say, it would be hard to explain. I didn't quite understand it myself. My feelings have never felt more complicated.

This upcoming weekend was meant to celebrate the union of my father and Livia, but I was far more concerned with my own affairs. Niccolo offered Livia's bridal party the jet, we'd fly to Italy and have a bachelorette party before the wedding.

I was being dragged along.

I think they felt pity for me, like I was some accessory or victim to Harry. I had to keep up that facade as long as possible, since my father was already building a suspicious case against me. There wasn't a chance in hell I'd let them know how it actually unfolded, how we ran off and grew closer than I thought possible. I still thought about him everyday. My mind couldn't help but wonder where Harry was now.

Our distance was only growing. I left LAX on my fathers jet to reunite with him abroad. Niccolo had taken another plane with his wedding party, leaving me to travel amongst Livia's entourage. It felt inorganic to be clumped together with these middle-aged women.

"Are you alright, Clio?" Livia inquired. My heart temporarily softened at her concern. It felt nice to know she was looking after me, in one way or another. It was hard to push back how I felt.

"Never been better,"

Livia pursed her lips and drew her cup up to her mouth. Her deadlocked gaze saw past my lie.

"Missing something? Someone?" Livia began to subtly jab with her words.

My fingers expanded across the airplane seat, taking in the cold texture and smooth fabric. Sweat accumulated across each gland in my palm. I felt a small twitch develop near my eyebrow as my temples grew tense. She meant to inspire some pain in my heart by reminding me. She knew the effect he had.

"Just nervous for the wedding," I cursed through my dull face.

"Why? It's not like you're a bridesmaid," She diligently emphasized my place. Livia didn't grant the courtesy of allowing her husbands daughter to be in the wedding. She wanted me in the audience, assuring all attention was on her.

"I just thought this would be a small wedding, but it sounds like you invited a few more people-"

"-Worried you'll see someone?" Her complexion was unfazed. Either she'd spoken to my father and created a conspiracy, or Harry said something. An unusual amount of dread spiked in my blood as my brain processed- maybe I was a weapon in Harry's game. Maybe he used me as a pawn to gain leverage, seducing me at the demise of Livia and Niccolo. Once I was at a certain level of entrapment, he'd set me free and be granted whatever amenities they withheld.

"I just have bad memories from the A.C. Records event," My voice softened to prove submission. I didn't feel like intellectually countering her rebuttal. It was better to let it rest. The other women in the plane cabin were silent, but I knew that only meant they were listening.