iv.

once we left lonnie's, the car ride back home was quiet. not a comfortable quiet. with 'should i stay or should i go' playing faintly in the background, i still felt so awkward. i knew the reason jonathan had it on because of will. it was his favorite. they played it all the time when the three of us hung out.

but that wasn't it. i was sitting in jonathan's car, after not talking to him for how long? why did it bother me so much. i could feel how tense i was, and probably looked.

we finally reached jonathan's house—did i mention we were neighbors? yeah. so i was home now, too. jonathan parked the car in front of my walkway, before turning over to me and smiling. "here's your stop."

i put my hand on the door handle and hesitated, "thanks for taking me with you today. you really didn't have to but i'm glad we got to talk. i missed you." i gave a weak smile, hoping that wasn't too forward.

"oh and believe me. i know this," i said waving my hand in the air. "doesn't fix anything." i said looking down from guilt. i hoped it was start, though.

"no yeah, i enjoyed being around you again." he said. i don't know if he was smiling or not. i couldn't look him in the face right now.

"i promise i'll explain that, if i ever get the chance to. goodnight, jonathan." i said getting out of the car and closing it before he could say anything. i walked around the front, stepping onto the sidewalk. i closed my eyes and took a breath, turning around.

"do you wanna hang out tomorrow?" i said rather quickly.

he was taken aback, mentally processing what i just said. he swallowed, shaking his head.

"yeah. i'd like that." he smiled shyly.

"great." i chuckled, "i'll call you."

before he said anything else i walked to the door, mentally cursing myself for acting so weird.

i walked into the house closing the door, pressing my back up against it. i looked to the right and saw, surprisingly, my dad was home.

"who dropped yo-u off?" he asked with a slur. he's drunk.

"no one." i said quickly, walking upstairs. fuck, i just remembered about steve's 'party'. i can't be too late. barb and nancy were picking me up, and i couldn't keep them waiting for too long.

when i got to my room i started digging through my drawers for any sign of a bathing suit. i decided on a red bikini. i put some shorts over the bottoms for now, knowing i couldn't walk out of here like that or i'd be questioned to the depths of hell. i walked to my mirror making sure my hair looked ok, and checked myself out.

"i have a nice ass." i said turning around and posing. how'd i never notice?

i tucked my hair behind my ears, and puckered my lips in the mirror. i look really good.

i stopped playing around, grabbed a small black bag and threw a towel into it, a hair tie just in case, and my house keys. once i was done, i put on some lipgloss as i walked out of my room and closed the door.

...to be greeted with my dad.

"can i help you?" i smiled.

"where the hell are you goin'?" he asked walking closer to me.

"it's not really your business, now is it?" i said raising an eyebrow. i don't have time for this. i'm sure barb is already outside. "can you move?"

"what did you just say?" he said leaning down to my face. i could smell the vodka on his breath. a reason i hated it.