Dex

The light was blinding as we emerged into a different room. Dex's room. His bedroom was in the basement which gave him plenty of space for his drum kit to be in there with him.

He was currently sitting in front of it, drumsticks in hand. But he wasn't playing. He was leaning his elbows on his knees, staring off into space as his foot tapped wildly on the floor.

"Dexter!" His mom shouted from upstairs.

"What!" He shouted back. His mom ran downstairs with the house phone in her hand.

"It's Alice's mum, I can't understand what she's saying but I think she's crying." She panted. Dex shot up from his seat and grabbed the phone from her. He threw his drumsticks on his bed and put the phone up to his ear. His mom had decided to stay in the room to see what the fuss was about.

"Hello?"

I couldn't exactly hear what my mom was saying, but I could hear her frantic sobs coming from the speaker. I knew she had just told him that she found me dead.

Dex froze and the phone slid from his hand, breaking into pieces as it hit the floor.

"Dex?" His mom slowly approached him.

"She's dead." He whispered quietly.

"Who's dead?" His mom took another step towards him.

"Alice. She killed herself." His voice broke as he held a shaky hand to his mouth.

"What?" This time she wasn't asking because she didn't hear him, she was asking because she wish she hadn't.

"Can you go over to their house? Her mom is freaking out." He struggled to get the words out of his mouth. His mom, who was now crying, simply nodded as she left the house.

Once she left, Dex sat on the edge of his bed with his head buried in his hands. He sat there for ten minutes, crying into his hands. Eventually he stood up with his drumsticks in hand. He slowly strode over to his drum set and looked at it.

Dex was a person who never revealed when he was sad. None of us had ever seen him cry. Seeing his face covered in tears; it was something I couldn't un-see. He was always such a happy person.

With one swift motion, he completely knocked over his set.

"No!" I screamed at him, trying to get him to stop but I knew it wouldn't work.

He continued to kick and hit it until it was just a pile of junk. I sat there helplessly and watched him. That drum set was his prized possession and I knew that for a fact. So to see him destroy it like this, it hurt me. I wanted him to stop. I wanted to tell him it wasn't worth it but he just kept going.

He collapsed amongst the pile of ruins and sobbed. He would pick up anything in arms distance and lob it at the basement door. As time passed, his sobs grew louder instead of quieter.

"I didn't even get to talk to you before you died." I heard Dex whimper. "You wrote me a note but you didn't actually speak to me."

Mom must've read him the note. She had to. How else would he have known?

"I can't see him like this anymore." I looked over at Dex one last time before pulling Aleks through the basement door.