Aleks

Gasping for breath, I bolted upward in my bed. My body was drenched with sweat, and my hair clung to my face. Looking over, I found Aleks lying next to me.

I knew I was dreaming. Aleks never died and I was also still alive. It was just one long, sick nightmare. I felt a pang of guilt as Aleks began to stir from his slumber, due to my noisiness.

His eyes slowly fluttered open, immediately landing on me. They opened wide and he screamed, jumping out of the bed completely.

"What are you doing here?!" He shouted at me.

"What? This is my house!" I shouted back at him. I began looking around the room to find that we weren't at my house but it wasn't Aleks' either.

"Oh god, no! The one day I don't watch you." Aleks muttered. He frantically began to pace around the room as I tried to calm him down.

"Aleks, stop!" I yelled, running up to stop him. Reaching for his arm, I grabbed it and he froze in place, his back turned to me. He slowly turned towards me and engulfed me into a tight hug.

"I've had to go a year without talking, hugging, or kissing you." He murmured into my hair as he began to pepper my face with kisses. As much as I was enjoying his touch, I pushed him away.

"What do you mean a year? T-that was all a bad dream." Aleks placed both of his hands on my shoulders and forced me to look at him.

"Baby, we're dead." I could hear his loud and steady voice begin to break.

"No. No we aren't dead."

"Yes, sweetie, we are. I died in a car crash, and you committed suicide." In a wave, the memories came back to me.

I remember sitting in the hospital for three hours as I sat over Aleks' dying body. I remember his funeral, hurting myself, meeting James, and dating Jordan. I remember Steven confessing to me and I remember writing my suicide letter.

I remember downing my entire bottle of anti-depressants. The sound of blood rushing through my head was the last thing I heard as I died on my bedroom floor.

"Where are we?" I whispered, carelessly letting the tears stream down my face.

"I couldn't exactly tell you." Aleks gave a small chuckle.

"Okay." I softly pushed his hands away and sat down on the edge of the bed. Aleks joined me, sitting in silence.

"What did you mean when you said, 'the one day I don't watch you'?" I asked him, followed by a sniffle.

"I've been watching you from up here since the day I died. I've been trying to protect you as best as I've could."

I didn't reply, I was too busy trying to take all of this in. He's been with me this entire time. He's seen everything I've done.

"Are you mad at me for dating Jordan?" I asked.

"No." He said, shaking his head, "I was actually happy when you did because you moved on. Plus, I really didn't want you dating James."

I asked him why.

"James has always had this weird thing for you ever since we started dating. It was creepy, trust me." Aleks laughed and I couldn't help but smile.

"Why did you stop watching me?" I know I was probably asking too many questions but I had so many things I needed answered.

"I couldn't bear to see you in so much pain, especially since I couldn't do anything to help. I never thought you would kill yourself." He took my hand and squeezed it, pulling my body towards his.

"Does this mean I can watch people too?" I mumbled into his shoulder.

"Yes."

"How?"

"Just go out the front door, and you'll see whoever you want to see. Do you want to go see someone now?"

I hesitated at first, but I slowly nodded.

"I'll take you." Aleks stood up and held his hand out to me. I took it and he dragged me downstairs and to the front door.

"Here we go." He muttered as he opened the door, pulling us both through.