FORTY-TWO

PUBLISHED: 17/07/2022
THIRD PERSON'S POV

You sat at the bay window, knitting as you watched the storm outside rage on, still drowsy from your painkiller filled nap. As you did so, you felt your backache start up again, the painkillers you took before wearing off. Your backache had started in the night, along with fake contractions. You had just went back to sleep, not bothering to tell Finn about it until the morning.

You jolted in your seat, and Finn looked up from his book, raising an eyebrow.

"False contraction, Finn," You reassured your husband, although you weren't too sure yourself.

"I'm gonna call Aunt Poll, just in case," Finn mumbled, going and grabbing the phone in the corner, getting the operator to put him through to Polly.

"Hello?" Aberama answered, making Finn suppress the urge to roll his eyes.

Of course he'd be at Polly's.

"Aberama, is Polly there? I need to talk to her,"  Finn said urgently.

You snickered in the corner, "Is your favourite uncle there, Finn?"

Finn flipped you off, then waited for Polly. He was fine with your father being with his aunt, but the way you teased him about your father being is favourite uncle was not something your husband was fine with.

"Boy," She greeted roughly, but Finn knew that it was always a term of affection, no matter the tone used with it, "What's wrong?"

"Erm, (Y/N)'s getting contractions and she's not sure whether they're real or not so can you make your way out here pretty please?" Finn asked nervously, curling his finger up in the cord of the phone.

You giggled from your spot as you watched your poor husband shift from foot to foot.

"Finn!" She shouted through the phone, "You was meant to bring her in to town before the storm started up!"

Finn winced. The storm only started getting bad recently. It wasn't so bad that he couldn't drive in it, but he'd rather not risk you in the car on the road.

The road. In his panicking about you giving birth, Finn had fucking forgotten that you had a dirt driveway. He wouldn't be able to get out if he
tried. Both of your cars would be bogged by now.

"Well (Y/N) said she was fine!" Finn defended himself, turning paler than usual and running a hand through his curls, "She said they were fake contractions and the book I read and the stuff you and the other girls told me made me think she was fine!"

You bit back a chuckle at your husband. It seemed he was more stressed than you. You had been around women giving birth before, but Finn hadn't. When Ada had given birth, he wasn't in the room. Polly had sent him out into the street, then down the street to the Garrison so he could tell his older brothers that the baby was there.

You, on the other hand, grew up around birth. Your family were constantly having babies. One of your aunts had twenty kids. You were there for fifteen of those births, and not only those births. You were always amongst the mix, getting towels when needed, holdings hands when needed, giving the mother food and drink when needed. Assisting in the birthing process, you were familiar with.

"Can't you just drive out here and walk up to the house? Poll, the driveway will be turned to mud now and I won't be able to get the car out," Finn explained, then pulled the earpiece away from his ear, knowing what would happen next.

"FINN THEO SHELBY," Polly raged through the phone, "YOU IRRESPONSIBLE LITTLE FUCK!"

Finn flinched as if she were right there in the room yelling at him. You watched your husband in amusement, as if you weren't in a very sticky situation right now.