TWENTY

PUBLISHED: 11/06/2022
THIRD PERSON'S POV

You woke up in the comfort of your vardo, looking up at the star covered roof, and hissed, feeling your head pound. You were grateful Finn slept in your bed, because it made you cover all of the windows for his comfort.

You had stayed the night at your family's camp, not wanting to stay around the family that made Finn believe that his brother was dead, not for longer than you needed.

It was unnecessary and cruel to him, and to you. You actually took a liking to Arthur, and that's saying something. You didn't like very many people, but Arthur, with his crude jokes and claps on the shoulder and always making someone move out of their seat so you, the wife of his kid brother, could sit down, had weaselled his way into your heart.

You'd have to admit that you also admired him for stepping up, and becoming a father figure to the younger Shelby siblings after their actual father had left them.

To your surprise, Finn begged to come with you, even after you asked him to stay so he could be with Arthur when Arthur woke up. Finn said that he'd just wake up early and take the car back to Tommy's. You ended up giving in, and letting him come, telling him you'd both take your wagon back to Tommy's in the morning, as Tommy had agreed to let your family camp there, as long as there was no conflict between yours and the Lee family.

You sat up and fumbled around for the canteen you had filled with water last night, finding it just above the cat and dog. Tuck and Finn Junior had gotten along well, which was another thing you were grateful for. You had a lot to be grateful for these days.

You uncapped the canteen, putting it to your lips and taking big gulps of the water inside, then closing it and laying back down, not feeling up to moving yet.

Finn shifted beside you and groaned, bringing a hand up to massage his temples. You wordlessly handed him the canteen, and he leaned up, then took a drink like you had just done, but managed to spill some, the drops rolling down his chest.

If you had looked a little longer than necessary at the droplets and the trails that they left along his sharp jawline and broad chest, maybe Finn was too hungover to notice. Or maybe he didn't care.

A knock in a particular pattern sounded upon the door of the vardo. You recognised the knock as Saoirse's. You looked at Finn, raising your eyebrows, and he nodded.

"Come in," You called out, and the door creaked open.

Footsteps padded along the floor, then the curtain separating your bed from the rest of the caravan was pulled back. Finn helped your little sister clamber up and over him, to go snuggle into your side. You jolted as her cold feet touched your legs.

"Hungry," She said simply, and you sat up, grabbing the biscuits that you stored in a blue tin on a shelf above your window, and sat them next to her.

"I don't want to eat your biscuits," Saoirse whined — she knew you loved them.

"I love you, I want you to eat well. Have these while I go cook," You commanded your sister, rubbing her messy hair.

"Is that why you cook for us all sometimes? Cause you love us?" Saoirse asked as she attempted to pry the lid off of the biscuits.

Finn wordlessly leaned over and did it for her.

"Yes," You replied truthfully, then prodded Saoirse's side.

"Thank you, Finn." Saoirse said, then bit into a biscuit as she sat up.

"It's alright," Finn replied, leaning out of the curtain and  scrabbling around, then produced a throw blanket, wrapping it around Saoirse.