NINETEEN

PUBLISHED: 06/06/2022
FINN'S POV

I stood next to you in the field as everyone placed their items in the wagon, to go up on the smoke with Arthur. You had placed an envelope in there, and wouldn't tell me what it was, as well as some flowers. We had bought two windowsill planters, like you wanted to, and set one up in your room, and hung the other on the outside of our lounge room window.

You were looking around, as if expecting someone. I nudged you, and you ignored me. I huffed and looked over to my left, and my jaw dropped.

Esme was approaching us with her kids, along with two women. I recognised one as your cousin Jenica, the other I didn't know. You walked up to her and hugged her, thanking her for coming. I looked around. Charlie, Tommy, Polly, Ada, Lizzie, and Linda all looked just as surprised.

You and the others approached our group.

"I'm here only to watch Arthur go up on the smoke. Then, me and the kids, we're leaving." Esme spat as you came and stood back at my side.

Tommy nodded solemnly, his gaze cold and calculating as he looked as Esme, then at you. You stared right back at him, defiantly unafraid.

"How did you manage this?" Tommy asked you lowly, watching as Esme and the kids put flowers, drawings, and personal belongings on the wagon.

"I whispered it into the breeze and she carried it all the way to Esme for me," You replied, not even bothering to look at the man.

Tommy gave a short grunt, then walked off, knowing that was all he was going to get from you.

"Does Jenica have anything to do with it?" I questioned croakily, wrapping an arm around your shoulder.

You leaned into my side, bringing your own arm around me, "Yes. Jenica's sister, she ran off and married a Lee, one of the same ones that Esme and the lot are travelling with. Jenica got a message to Esme for me, through her sister. Esme called Jenica's apartment when I was there and I begged and begged, saying that John's kids deserved to see their uncle off, and Esme agreed to bring them."

I looked at you in surprise. You looked back up at me, and raised your eyebrows, as if to say 'what?'. I leaned down and placed a kiss on your forehead, silently thanking you. If I spoke I'd be crying in seconds.

"It's alright." You murmured, rubbing my back, "It wasn't that hard to do."

I snorted. Tracking down people who didn't even know where they were going to be in twenty-four hours seemed an impossible task. But, if one person could do the job, of course it'd be you, using one of your many tricks that you had up your sleeve.

I turned to watch Uncle Charlie and others put gasoline on the logs below the wagon, my chin still sat on your head.

I noticed something that wasn't tears in the corner of my eye, and turned my head to look, you doing the same.

Audrey Changretta was approaching us, carrying a white flag. I stood up straighter as someone called out 'Tommy!'

"It's all right, let her come," He announced, holding a hand out to stop anyone from doing anything.

Your free hand found mine, and you squeezed my hand. I gave it a squeeze back as Tommy said something to Audrey.

•••

You, Tommy, Polly, and I were now in Linda's living room, Audrey Changretta sitting across from us, sipping her tea as if she just popped in to discuss the weather. Tommy said you could come along because you deserved to know what was going on, especially because you were thrown in the deep end by both the kidnapping and when he needed your help in the Square.