Welcome Home

The Ram Pol of Chittorgarh was visible at a distance. Nagadas and Dhols announced the arrival of the new Kuwarani to the fort. Early at dawn, Ajabde was helped to dress up in her bridal jewellery by the Dasis before they set off for Chittor. It was almost midday when they reached the gates. The procession stopped at the town square allowing the ladies palkis of Jaivanta Bai, Sajja Bai and then the princesses to move ahead so that they could prepare for the arrival of the bride.

The town was all decked up for the event. Their excitement knew no bounds as they waited to hope for a glimpse of the bride. As they arrived at the gates of the Kumbha Palace, the dancers danced in traditional Garba as the singer's Sang
" Aa Gaye dekho Kunwarsa lekar apni dulhan,
Baisa Ki aane se jhoom utha hai sabka Mann."

Ajabde was helped by Saubhagwati out of her palki and Kunwar Pratap walked up beside her. From behind her dupatta, she was amazed at the spectacular palace before her eyes. She had heard of so many stories of brave hearts here. Now, this was her home.

Everyone was cheering, " Kunwar Pratap Ki jai, Kunwarani Ajabde Baisa Ki jai." Pratap smiled as he whispered to her " See, the people already love you." She smiled to see his pride as he looked around hands folded. She did the same appreciating their love.

" Come inside Baisa." The lesser queens of Udai Singh escorted Ajabde up the stairs of the Mahal to the main entrance. Pratap followed suit. Their Ganth Bandhan didn't allow him any other Choice.

Jaivanta Bai placed the rice Kalash before her. She tilted it over. Then SajjaBai placed the plate of Alta for her and she used her hands to leave an impression on the wall. This was just the beginning of her impression of their lives. Jaivanta did their welcome Aarthi followed by Sajja and Dheer. Pratap and Ajabde took their blessings. They were then led to the first hall. There, the other rituals were to be done before the Ganesh Puja. The ring-finding ceremony was to begin. Jaivanta Bai told Ajabde, "You have to win this, he doesn't listen to me he is so adamant, it's time you tame him." Ajabde smiled as Pratap protested, " Aree, am I some wild horse she can tame?" Heer was excited, " Win this Dadabhai." The game began as both started looking for the ring. Eyes met and hands too, more than once. As their hands brushed each other's Sajja Bai smiled at Jaivanta Bai. They looked at each other in awe and took the ring out. Both of them were holding it together, both refusing to let go.
" Aree, what is this?" Shakti complained. " Who wins then?"
" Kunwarsa. " " Ajabde." They looked at each other as they took each other's names and everyone laughed.
" Play again." Heer urged.
" Yes, Bhabisa win this time." Shakti was in a competitive mood.
" No, we are done." Pratap quit the game.
" It appears they will control each other." Girja Dai smiled at Jaivanta Bai.

The Ganesh puja and aarthi were done. And they were made to sit in a small room adjacent to the hall.
" I miss my Kakasa. How well he predicted for Ajabde at my wedding." Bhago spoke up.
" You doubt my abilities?" Chakrapani appeared a little disappointed.
" No. I..."
" Rajkumarisa, show me your hand." Heer was reluctant. Shakti stepped forward. " See mine."
" I see differences. You may have to leave your people for your better "
" I will never leave Dadabhai. I may not be physically here but I will always be with them. "
" Heer, come show yours." Pratap insisted.
" I see no royalty for you. You may have to face hardships in the future "A scared Heer looked at Shakti who smiled an assuring smile.
Pratap whispered to Ajabde, " Talk to Shakti once, I think something is wrong."

Jaivanta Bai came in to take the couple. They were first taken to the courtroom where the royal courtiers waited. They all blessed them as Udai Singh gifted Pratap a new sword much to his delight. Then he turned to Ajabde.
"It is our tradition that the king gifts the Kuwarani something. Tell me what you want without fear."
Ajabde looked at Pratap who nodded in approval.
" I want that Kunwarsa Shakti and Rajkumari Heer to get married as soon as the wars are over." A shocked Udai Singh looked at a smiling Jaivanta Bai. He was at a loss for words.
" I ..."
" Come Ajabde, let's show you the Purvajo ka room." Jaivanta bai led them away.

They were standing in front of the portraits of the greatest names of Chittor, Bappa Rawal Kumbha to Sanga. All whose bravery was the soul of Chittor. The lamps at the base of the portraits flickered. Above them, all stood the statue of Rama. Ajabde silently prayed to them for strength to serve her motherland. Pratap introduced her to the sword of Bappa as Jaivanta stood proud.

At the light of the flickering lamp in front of Lord Rama Pratap stood hands stretched to the lamp. " We, Kunwar Pratap Udai Singh and Kunwarani Ajabde Pratap Singh Sisodia promise to serve our motherland, no matter what the cost is." She promptly repeated his words, putting her Hand over his on the lamp.

Jaivanta Bai spoke up to Karnawati's portrait, " I have never had the luck to meet you Ranima Sa. But Panna Dai told me it was Maharani's dharma to find her perfect next ascender and I am happy to introduce to you, Ajabde, your grandson Pratap's life partner." She folded her hands as Ajabde came forward and did the same. " Khamma Gani Badi Ranima Sa."
Jaivanta Bai held Pratap's shoulders with both hands.
" When you were born I intended to give Mewar a brave son, to protect it. But I always wanted a brave daughter as well. Today, I am the happiest mother in the world. " Pratap smiled hugging his Ranima as Ajabde stood smiling.

" Ayiye." Jaivanta Bai called a happy Ajabde into the hug as she held the future in each arm. Pratap looked at Ajabde's face as she smiled at him proudly, a drop of tear passed her cheeks, but he knew those were happy tears. Jaivanta Bai wiped hers away as she said, " Come I have another surprise for you."

They crossed the garden following her cluelessly. They found Shakti Heer, Chakrapani and Bhago standing with smiles. They followed Ranima to a two-storey house right across the Ranimahal.
The gate opened to a small water body, atop which laid a path to the door. Lotuses decorated the water. On the left was a beautiful tulsi Manch, and on the right a garden. A mango tree could be seen behind the house where the stables should be. They entered the house where large spacious rooms were decorated with royal furniture. Everything from the kitchen to the living rooms was stocked well.

" This is my gift to you. Your home. Ajabde."
" What? You are sending us away from you?" Pratap was shocked.
" Am right across the garden." Jaivanta replied. " and it's time you leave my achal..."
" I will never do that." Everyone laughed as Jaivanta showed them the house. Ajabde liked it simple so everything was the way she liked it. She smiled. Pratap was interested to see the stable where Sarang was already placed. They climbed up to the first floor and the big door was shut.
" You can see this room later." Jaivanta Bai continued.
" Why not now?" Pratap asked.
Chakrapani and Saubhagyabati smiled at each other. Jaivanta chose to ignore it.

After a hearty meal, they were left alone in the garden. Pratap sat down beside Ajabde who looked tired by now. He smiled.
" It feels so strange today."
" What?"
" It feels so strange, you and me, we have come such a long way and this is finally happening and I don't know how I feel. I just had no time to sit and reflect."
" Me neither. So many things I wanted to share with you now am at a loss of words Kunwarsa."
" You remember when I got injured Ajabde? I was fainting...."
" How can I forget those dark days?"
" You know what I saw before I blacked out?"
" What?"
" You. You like this, here." Ajabde looked at him wide-eyed.
" Kunwarsa..."
" I was so confused. When I got back my senses the first thing I remembered was that."
" When they brought you in, I was helping to stop your blood..."
" And?"
" it got all over my clothes, hands and... Forehead. Ranima told me that day, I was her only hope."
" Wait... Your forehead?"
" yes... I was so scared yet something In me gave me strength. Today I know what it was." He looked at her smiling face.
" Eklingji planned this for us Ajabde, otherwise how could I not find light for my lamp and you happened to bring it, to the lamp and my life."
" Destiny is strange."
" So is love." They sat silent.
" When I heard how you answered Chotima back I was impressed. Angry that you left, but impressed."
" Am glad Chotima accepted me."
" She will love you soon Ajabde, no one can hate you."
" I thought you won't come after me. "
" How could I not?"

" Baisa." A Dasi interrupted followed by Bhago.
" Maharanisa has called you." Ajabde left with Bhago as Pratap stood there. Chakrapani came up to him.
" Why is she called in?"
" I don't know Baojiraj, must be some Rasm."
" Again?"
" Now you have to bare with these Baojiraj. Now you are not her friend anymore. You are her husband. She will take you for granted."
" for granted?"
" Yes, like she will not come if you call. Not praise you easily..." Chakrapani continued to a shocked Pratap.

In Ranima 's chambers, the ladies were dressing Ajabde up for a special night. As she sat nervous, anticipating the beginning of a new life