Bravehearts

As Pratap and Ajabde entered Ranima's room Jaivanta looked at her son and knew something was bothering him. He was not even smiling when Shakti cracked a joke. She looked at the smiling Ajabde and back at her son. As the children were leaving she stopped him.
"Pratap... Come here... I want to talk to you alone."
" What happened?" Pratap looked at his mother's serious face worried.

"What happened to you?" Her question shocked him. "You seem preoccupied."
" Nothing Ranima am fine." He looked at his mother's eyes scrutinizing him.

She made him sit down and patted his back urging him to pour out his heart.
" Woh... Ranima today I saw Chakrapani and Bhabisa fight. She was telling him he doesn't have time for her at all. "
" Yes... And?"
" I am afraid. With my responsibility and constant travel and..."
" Ajabde understands your responsibilities more than you. " She interrupted.
" I know but what if someday she wants something and I don't live up to her expectations? "
" Pratap.... "
" And what if I hurt her? Marriage alliances..."
" That's all your duty. All her duty as the Kuwarani of Mewar. And I know Ajabde loves Mewar as much as you do. She knows the consequences of marrying you. If she has blind faith in you why don't you have faith in her?"
" No Ranima... I have..."

" Kunwarsa. A letter has arrived from Chittor addressed to you."
" Letter?" Pratap was surprised.
" But Ranaji and Dheerbai left this morning only." Jaivanta Bai was surprised too as Pratap rushed to open the letter. It read:
Akbar attacked Alwar and took over the fort. We need to send an army. We need you to lead it. Come back quickly. Bring Raoji and Bijolia's Army too. We are waiting. Rawatji.

Pratap rushed out to inform Shakti and also to stop Heer from stepping out of Bijolia. Jaivanta Bai went to inform Raoji. Ajabde was in her room with Ratan going through some jewellery for the wedding. A scared Hansa Bai came in to inform her daughter of the war and its insecurities were visible on her face. Strong as she was Ajabde smiled. She took her aarti thal and left for the prayers.

Dressed in a warrior's attire Pratap was in her empty room. A frown appeared on his face.
" Jija is at Kanha ji ka Mandir Kunwarsa." The voice behind him startled him as he smiled and nodded before he left in a hurry.

Ajabde stopped her aarti and looked back at the figure approaching her. She smiled at him. Then handed him, Prasad. He smiled back faintly.
" Kunwarsa can I ask your permission for something?"
" You don't need my permission for anything Ajabde."
" Can I do your tilak and aarti?" Her request made him smile. What made him smile more was her scared face.
" Adhikaar hai aapka." His prompt reply made her smile as she did the aarti and tilak.
" Win the war and come back soon."
" Wait for me."
" I will. Jai Eklingji."
" Jai Eklingji... Ajabde... Ranima... "
" Don't worry. I will take care of everyone. Ranima, Majhli ma and Heer."
He nodded as he thought how right Ranima was about Ajabde. She understood her responsibility well. He held her hand. It was cold. He looked into her eyes as he realized how scared she was.
" Ajabde... I..."
" Go now Kunwarsa. Daata and Kunwar Shakti will be waiting for you at the city gates."
He nodded as he left her hand and she stood staring at the retreating figure. She felt like rushing there and hugging him yet she had to remain strong. For herself. Mostly him. He turned back as he mounted Sarang. She managed a smile as he nodded and left. Ajabde made her way back to the palace praying for some good news from the war front each day.

Pratap reached the army camp and was greeted by Rawatji. He was in charge until Pratap arrived.
" Ranaji has gone to Rao Maldeo Ji of Marwar and the Chauhans hoping for some alliance so that we can declare war soon."
"Let's hope they are with us." Pratap was bothered. He felt a mishap coming. He didn't know what. He went to his Khemma and wrote down two letters. Clapping for the messenger he said " Take these to Bijolia. Hand them over personally to Ramima and Ajabde Baisa."
Raoji came in with a letter.
" Kunwarsa..."
" ji... Raoji..."
" Ajabde send you this."
He gave a red Dhaaga and left. Pratap smiled at the letter in his hand that read :
Kunwarsa I brought this Raksha Dhaaga from Eklingji temple via Purohitji this afternoon. Please wear it on your right arm. It will keep you safe. And remember. Always be alert and take every step thinking of Mewar. Hope we win soon. Jai Eklingji.
A smile curved his face as he looked at the Dhaaga in his Hand. Her encouragement. Her token of love. Her care. It made him more determined to win this for her.