Side by side

Rana Udai Singh was furious when he came to the Khema. Raoji and Rawatji went to meet him while Pratap, Shakti and others waited outside the tent. They had known by Ranaji's face that the meeting didn't go as planned.
"Just how dare he... " roared the king breaking his silence.
" What happened Ranaji?" Rawatji asked him in a worried voice.

" That Rao Maldeo... He not only refused to help us against Akbar he even insulted us. He said it will be better if we all surrendered to Akbar than fight him. That coward. He said I am not worthy to rule a free Mewar. It will be better off in Akbar's hands. " Rawatji's grip tightened on his sword.
" I think we should provide an answer to this insult immediately Ranaji."
" woh... Ranaji..."
" What happened Rao Ramrakh ji? You can say what you feel free"
Udai Singh looked at the man in front.
" War inside Rajputana will only strengthen Akbar. He will divide and rule us. That's what he wants. Jaipur and Jodhpur are already thinking of alliances. Many more like some from the Chauhans of Ajmer and also Ranthambore and Mandu are thinking of giving in as well. The only states left are Bikaner, Bundi and us majorly. Marwar is another strong opponent of Akbar. If we both fight against each other..."
" I know what you are trying to say Raoji but the truth is... What option do we have? If we are quiet on Ranaji's insult they will take it as our weakness only." Rawatji looked at Ranaji after he finished.
" My fear is .... " Ranaji looked at Raoji and Rawatji. " Kunwar Pratap!"
" Kunwarsa?" Raoji was confused.
" Yes he will never be ready to fight against a Rajput, especially with Akbar knocking at the door," Rawatji added with a half smile. He was proud of Kunwar Pratap's ethics.
" And if he refuses to be the Senapati, Hal the army will refuse with him!" Rana Udai Singh was lost in his thought.

Rawatji put a hand on his shoulder. " I will go talk to him and see."
He stepped out to see an eager Shakti and Pratap waiting. He told them about their father's insult in Marwar.
" How dare he? Come, Dadabhai let's teach this man a lesson." Shakti was visibly angry.
" No..." Came a loud and clear answer. An answer they expected and feared.
" No?? But Dadabhai they insulted Daajiraj."
" Not everyone is as brave as us Shakti... But that doesn't mean we will go to war against them."
" But they may think us weak..."
" Let them. Their thought doesn't matter. Winning over Akbar does. We need more men and strategy for winning Alwar."
" Ranaji is thinking..."
Rawatji hesitated. Pratap could read his mind. His face turned expressionless as he turned around and walked towards his Khema. They called him in vain. Kunwar Shakti told Rawatji " Don't worry he will come around in a day or two. I have never seen Dadabhai disobey Daajiraj."

Back in his Khema Pratap was angry and helpless. The last thing he wanted was a war in Rajputana. That too between Akbar's strongest opponents. He was in a fix. His dreams of a free Mewar seemed to slowly fade away with each day. This is what Akbar wanted. He needed to stop this. Fighting against the Rajputs would make him a blood-hungry warrior without ethics. He was not that. His eyes fell on the Dhaaga on his hand and he knew who could help him with his answer. Someone who knew him better than himself and respected his ideologies with her life.

A letter arrived at Bijolia Palace at the death of the night. The messenger refused to hand it over to the guards. Ajabde was sleepless and restless. She had no clue why. She sat on the balcony when the sound of hooves made her rush out. She took the letter. And to the messenger to wait. She wrote down a letter and handed it back to him. Now she could sleep peacefully.

Early morning Pratap was at his father's tent wanting to have a private conversation. He looked sleep deprived.
" Daajiraj, I will fight for your honour. But, first I want to meet Rao Maldeo personally and ask him to apologise to you. If he disagrees then I will give him the war invite. Don't worry I will go as a Senapati and not your son."
Rana Udai Singh agreed. He had no other option. He needed Pratap on this.

Pratap dressed as a traditional messenger and left for Marwar. He and Sarang reached there at midday and identifying himself as Rana Udai Singh's messenger he wanted to meet the king. The arrogant ruler refused to meet him and left no option but to give the war invite before he turned away from the palace disappointed and furious at the ego of the king.

The preparations for war were soon done and the two armies clashed in the barren land between Mewar and Marwar very close to Bijolia. Camps for medical aid were set up in nearby villages and the Bhils Pratap helped were ready to help him back. Ajabde went to the Bhil villages personally making sure that the injured people who could fight no more were given proper aid and sent home.

The war was almost won. Luck favoured the brave. Pratap was distraught seeing the loss of lives over a mere egoistic vocal war. He was helpless, doing his duty as a warrior and son. Rana Udai Singh was fighting with Rao Maldeo. Swords clashed as Udai Singh found himself cornered by Rao who was looking victorious. Rao ji's sword clashed with his as it came down upon Udai Singh and Rao Maldeo was hurt. He called off the war that very evening as the sun set, declaring Mewar victorious apologising for his mistake.

Rana Udai Singh was a happy man who went to his Khema after a victory party to find a letter from his wife.
Ranaji, in the past few days, what took lives and injured many you will be glad to know how Ajabde supervised their medical aids and financially helped and supported the families who lost their sons. She is already taking up her responsibility as the Kuwarani and wife of the future king and I think it's time we talk about their marriage before you and Kunwar Pratap decide to go after Akbar. She deserves her share of happiness. We both know the insecurities of war with Akbar so I want them married before your Alwar venture. Kindly come to Bijolia, I have called upon Rajpurohitji here. And congratulations on your win... Jaivanta.

Rana Udai Singh stepped out of his tent to see Pratap feeding Sarang and talking to him. He smiled and stepped forward.
" Kunwar Pratap..."
" ji?"
" Tomorrow morning we are leaving... For Bijolia."
" Daajiraj you will go to Bijolia?" He was surprised. " If you have some work you can order us."
" Yes, I have worked there Kuwarsa... But it's something I have to do..."
" What?"
" Get my son married."
Pratap was visibly red but he spoke up " But Daajiraj, Alwar..."
" Here, tell your mother that. I am following her orders." He chuckled leaving his son with the letter. He smiled as he read what Ajabde had done in all these days. He couldn't be prouder.

" Baisa! Baisa!" The Daasi called out running as Ajabde skipped a heartbeat.
" What happened Rama?" She asked stepping out of the puja Ghar, thali in hand.
" Kunwarsa is coming. We saw them from the rooftop." Ajabde tried to hide a smile in vain as she blushed and rushed to the Kanha temple to thank her lord.
He was searching the crowd for that face as his mother did his aarti.
" Ratan, where is jija?" Hansa Bai asked her daughter loud enough for him to hear.
" Jija is at Kanha temple Maa Sa."

" Woh... " he was thinking about what to say when Jaivanta bai smiled and said, " Pratap go take Kanha ji's blessing". Kunwar Shakti too was searching the crowd and the jharokhas when his eyes fell on a familiar face looking down at him. He smiled back. Sajjabai followed his gaze in shock then hid her smile as she said " Jija we need to talk." Softly to Jaivanta Bai.
His footsteps stopped her prayers as she turned around. She was fighting away her tears. Her eyes shone with them. He smiled at her proudly.
" I heard what you did with the Bhils. Thank you."
" What I did was my duty Kunwarsa. Don't make me a stranger by thanking me."
" I am happy you helped. I felt I was not alone. I felt we fought together."
" Kunwarsa I.... " her hug shocked him as he didn't move afraid he might lose this moment. She placed her head on his chest as tears rolled down and she could hear his heartbeat. A smile curved his face as he held her shoulder with his hands.
" Ajabde... It's all okay. I am back. To you." He said softly. This made her realise that her emotions had made her cross her barriers as she stepped back embarrassed and ran towards the palace.
" Ajabde!" He called in vain as he smiled at the running figure.

At the palace, the Rajpurohit was sitting with the elders as Heer, Shakti and Ratan were hiding behind the curtains trying to hear them.
" Next week will be perfect." The Rajpurohit declared to the happy parents as Heer, Shakti and Ratan ran to find the people concerned to give them the good news.