Farewell, Childhood

Ratan came in to say in a teary voice, " Jija it's time."
Ajabde looked at her sister and then at Pratap who had carefully moved back a few inches and she hugged Ratan tight. Both had tears in their eyes as Pratap broke the silence saying,
" Ratan Baisa, you can come to visit her in Chittor as many times as you like. You are always welcome to stay."
Ajabde nodded in approval as Ratan smiled at Pratap.

They were made to sit as Hansa Bai did the aarti of them both. They touched Raoji's feet as he folded his hands to Udai Singh. Jaivanta Bai spoke up,
" As long as Kunwar Pratap and I are with her, you don't need to worry Raoji."

Udai Singh looked at a smiling Jaivanta Bai visibly displeased. Pratap could tell something was amiss. Not that this was the first time he witnessed such a cold war between his parents. He chose to avoid it, especially with Ajabde's constant sniffs haunting him, making him feel guilty about her pain. The elders blessed them. Starting with the oldest, Saubhagyabati's grandmother. She hugged Ajabde and said, " Putravati Bhaba" making her blush and the others smile.

Sajjabai asked Jaivanta Bai in whispers, " Is the house prepared Jija?"
" Hush, it's a surprise."
" What house?" Dheerbai enquired.
" You will see when we get home," Jaivanta replied.

Ajabde cried inconsolably hugging Hansa Bai. She was a friend more than a mother. She bid adieu to Laxmi in tears, repeating again and again to Ratan how to take care of her and her newborn calves. Pratap was touched by her concern for Laxmi like a family member she was leaving behind. Ratan led her to the palki and hugged her one last time.

" Ratan Baisa, you didn't ask for your gift."
" I will ask when the time comes Kunwarsa." Was a reply. Pratap smiled.
" You are becoming more like your Jija every day."
Ratan was visibly pleased with this compliment. Everyone wanted to be like her Jija. Everyone sought appreciation from Kunwarsa. Ajabde noticed the smile. She looked at Ratan studying her face. Hansa hugged her one last time.

Jaivanta came forward to separate the duo and the teary-eyed bride sniffed as she hugged Jaivanta Bai tight softly saying, " Ranima." Pratap smiled seeing his mother hug her in her protective arms.
" Come Ajabde, let us go home, to Chittor."

Jaivanta Bai made her sit in the palki and pulled the purdah. Ratan rushed inside in grief. All these months, she grew up from a girl to a mature elder, watching Ajabde jija and Kunwarsa take up so many responsibilities. She felt the Mahal was all of a sudden so empty. She sat down crying, clinging to Ajabde's dupatta in what was her bedroom. Hansa Bai was consoled by Raoji who controlled his tears as the palki went away.

Saubhagyabati was too happy to accompany them back to Chittor. Her new life awaited her. Heer saw Shakti looking preoccupied. She was sad watching Hansa and Ajabde, so she went up to him. Before getting on to her palki, she was sniffing too.
" What's wrong? Why are you crying?"
" Am Sad. One day, I have to leave my parents for you."
Her words made him skip a heartbeat as he said, "Let's go." And walked away. Heer thought she had offended him. She didn't know what was so wrong with him. She rode in a palki she shared with Saubhagyabati, preoccupied.

It was almost dusk when they reached halfway and the bride was not supposed to enter her new home after sunset so Udai Singh decided to set up a Khema by the lake until the next dawn. As they all got down, Pratap looked at Ajabde concerned, she managed a smile. Sajjabai noticed this as she walked up to Pratap.
" Dekh lijiye... As much as you want, you can't see her until tomorrow morning after this, she won't walk out of the ladies' Khema tonight. Jija will be with her. "
Sajjabai teased a visibly embarrassed Pratap as Heer smiled.
Jaivanta Bai took Ajabde to her tent to rest.

The daasis helped her get rid of the heavy jewellery for the night, but she was not supposed to undo her hair or get off the bridal lehenga until she arrived at the palace. Only with the mang tika, and bangles she still looked pretty. Her dinner was served in the tent itself.
Pratap got rid of his heavy pagri and stole for the night, as he walked towards the dining area he stole a quick glimpse towards Jaivanta Bai's tent in vain as Heer smiled at Shakti. He did not smile back. He didn't even notice Pratap.

After dinner, Shakti told Pratap he was going for a walk and walked out of the tent they shared, with his sword. He sat by the lake, first lost in thought, then angry.

Ajabde was making the bed when Jaivanta Bai interrupted. " Let the daasi do that."
" No, No Ranima this much I can do."
" Come sit with me." She smiled and sat with Ranima.
" I have a gift for you." She held out a wooden box. It contained a gold Kangan. It looked antique.
" Ranima this looks..."
" It was Maharani Karnavati's. Her mother-in-law gave her when she became the Maharani of Mewar. I was given this by Panna Dai on the day Pratap was born. This is the Kangan for the Maharanis of the Sisodia family."
" But Ranima... I..."
" You will make a great Maharani someday Ajabde. The people love you. Your ideas are just like Pratap's. I couldn't be happier. You deserve this." Ajabde hugged her saying " Ranima, I don't think I will ever miss Maa Sa with you around."
" Come to bed now, you must be tired."
" Ji."
Jaivanta Bai was in deep sleep and Ajabde sat up sleepless. Something bothered her. She didn't know what. She took the jug and poured herself a glass of water.

Shakti was swinging his sword in anger.
" Ouch. Ahh." Heer's cry stopped him as he dropped his sword. A worry crept in as he enquired," Are you hurt? Are you all right? What are you doing here?"
" Leave me alone." Here's voice hurt more as she sat holding her injured arm.
" Heer..."
" Just don't. I don't know what is wrong with you. You don't think I can help you or at least share your worries. You are rude and ignoring me. You just think am a child." She screamed at him.
" You want to know what's wrong. Your father will join Marwar and the Mughals that's wrong. You and I will never be together that way." He screamed back frustrated. She got up shocked. " My Daata will never do that. He will not sell himself."
" My Daajiraj thinks he will. He is planning on stalling the wedding."
" Kunwarsa..."
" Now tell me, does this make you happy that I told you?"
Heer sat silent for a minute. Then she spoke up determined.
" One thing Dadabhai always tells me. Fight till the end. Let's fight till the end." Shakti looked at her.
" Our situation is not like Dadabhai's. Politics is complicated Heer."
"Let's run away then." Heer's voice had a childish excitement. Shakti stared surprised then laughed. " Run away? That's your brave plan?"
" You are not brave enough to run away?"
" Am brave enough not to."

Pratap smiled as he witnessed this scene. He had no idea why these two were talking about running. Must be some childish game of theirs he thought as he quietly walked towards the ladies' camp.

" What do you suggest then?" Heer enquired
" I will talk to Bhabisa. Am sure she will help."
" Not now. Don't worry about her now. Later when you get time..."
" I know I know. After you leave for Bundi..." They stared at each other. " I need to go. Subhratri." She walked away.

Ajabde sat up. She looked at Ranima sleeping beside her peacefully. Then her eyes fell on the tent door. And froze. The light that flickered outside showed a shadow. It was him. She widened her eyes and murmured a slow " Hey Eklingji " as she walked towards the door.

She stepped outside and immediately turned her back to him.
" Why are you here?"
" Aree, why are you facing that way."
" Kunwarsa, didn't you hear what Majhli ma said? We can not see each other until dawn."
" But I am here to..."
" To?" He smiled as she stared cluelessly towards the tent.
He walked up to her and removed her dupatta from her head. A shiver ran down her spine as she skipped a heartbeat. He knew her thought as he smiled. She closed her eyes scared. He stepped back again.
" your hair looks pretty with those flowers "
His voice made her smile in relief. She turned towards him. Immediately his hand was on her side of his face covering his view.
" Aree... Should I see now or not?''
She laughed as he removed his hand and smiled at her.
" Now go Kunwarsa, we need to leave early at dawn na?"
" Wah Ajabde, you are so eager to reach Chittor?" He teased her." I wonder why." He started with a smile.
" Haa, toh... I always heard of Chiitor and the brave stories there. So many things I have to see."
" Like?"
" Meera ma Temple, Vijay stambh, keerti stambh, the palace, the gardens, the arenaa..."
" And?"
" Ranima's puja Ghar, the stables, the tunnels."
" Nothing else?"
" umm... Yes..."
" What?"
" Kunwar Shakti's room."
" Nothing about me?" He asked angrily.
" What about you?" Ajabde teased. He looked at her eyes twinkling. He smiled.
" Go now, I need some rest."
" Rest as much as you want tonight." He smiled teasingly.
She looked at him and looked away blushing.
" Kunwarsa Subhratri." She walked inside. Keeping him smiling.

He walked back to his tent and found Shakti laying awake.
" Where were you?"
" I... ER... Wanted some fresh air." Pratap said as Shakti smiled in the darkness. " Me too." His words made Pratap turn around with a smile.

Chakrapani sat with Saubhagyabati in their tent.
" A house?" He asked surprised.
" Yes. Maharanisa has made it according to what they like. Simple. It is a two-storey house, in the complex of the palace and has everything from a kitchen to rooms to a stable also. "
" But doesn't Baisa deserve a place in the Ranimahal like all others ?"