Chapter Thirty

"This can't be happening."

A few days ago, Katherina had reunited with Hemera and Thea. Hearst that ripped from being apart so long, mended by just a glance. She liked seeing them again, memories of adventures and mischief made her smile. She couldn't leave them again. She didn't want to.

Katherina had left the Night Court for a reason. Caldor would be her companion until the season cleared and she could return. There was no harm in inviting them along, only fun and welcome as she opened her arms.

Relief washed over her when they started to slowly accept Caldor. The small friendship slowly building with trust in which from years to come they will all be a family just like her Father has.

The passing days were spent walking, running, and racing to the border. Their bodies exhausted and smelly. The sun doing no help as the humid air made the leather and sloth stick to them.

They were so close, just a step away from the Court of Dawn.

Or in this situation, a river.

The water clear and sparkling like a silk of clouds. The small fish of brown and grey visible as they swam, the look so peaceful and calming that Katherina was tempted to just lay there forever.

They simply had to cross this river and they arrived to Dawn. As though the line was also in the sky as it shifted from golden to rose and cobalt. The difference of air as the wind blew made Katherina shiver. A dewy refreshness made her shiver.

It would be an easy crossing, but unlucky for them, Hemera hated water and Thea didn't know how to swim. The river expanded greatly which would take about seven minutes swimming to get to the other side.

"What do you think?" Katherina glanced at Caldor and Thea stood with her sister.

"There's no trouble with me, I can fly over but they can't. Neither can you."

"I know how to swim." she stated clearly, "but they don't know and Hemera doesn't like the water."

It should have been easy to think of a solution but they were tired; they couldn't think at the moment.

"Maybe you can teach me," Thea asked her, "It shouldn't be so hard, right?"

Katherina hesitated. The Darkness taught her how to swim and when she tried teaching Ziv-

"I'm not a very good teacher. And even if I could, you can't learn to swim and go through a river on the first day. It's filled with currants and you must keep yourself up to be able to breathe."

Thea seemed to frown at that, but Katherina wasn't taking the chance for her to drown.

"What about him?"

Caldor looked at Hemera, suspension and confusion clouding his eyes. "What about me?"

"You can fly can't you?" Hemera stated in a tone.

"Sorry to crush your hopes but it's a costume."

She rolled her eyes as she grabbed his wings and spread them as far the can go, moving them in a flapping position, Caldor grimaced the entire time.

"You look strong and have muscle that can open a bottle of wine. I'm sure you can carry Thea and I across, one at a time if we're too heavy so no need to harm your ego."

Katherina chuckled as he took back his wings, wacking her with them before flying over them, away as Hemera threw her shoe at him. He landed behind her as Hemera grumbled something about 'Illyrians'.

She smiled at him before taking his hand, her soft and squishy to his hardened and scarred. "Do you mind?" she whispered, "I can try to teach them but i-"