Chapter Twenty-Four

Fear is a powerful thing. It wakes you up to the reality of the world. And the world is a cruel place to live in. There are those who inflict fear, finding amusement in our scared faces, our speeding hearts.

Amarantha was fear itself. She had created it, wielded it. She bent and broke the laws of fear. So when the Court of Nightmares saw her face, The scent, aroma, it infected the air. No one breathed. No one could.

Katherina's steps echoed around the room. The sound of glass and stone only thickening the silence. The more steps she took towards their High Lord and Lady, the more people watched with scared breaths.

Katherina stood tall, her chin lifted as she passed them, watched as some pulled their children behind them as if they could protect them if Katherina were to attack.

Fools, do they really think they could stop you if they tried? The voice spoke.

Her father glowed at her, his eyes of stars tracking every step she took.

You look lovely, my darling, Her father said.

As Katherina glanced at the rest of the inner circle, they all beamed at her. Excited that after this, lawfully, she was part of this Court, this family.

Once Katherina made it to their thrones, she lowered herself slightly as her father reached for her crown. Similar to theirs yet so different. Rhysands was of the Stars, Feyres was of the moon and hers, Katherina... was of the three Mountains.

Ironic, isn't it? Though it does fit well, Daughter of the Mountain. The voice once again whispered.

Mountain, It said. Not Mountains.

She heard her fathers steps as he made his way to her, pridefulness shown in the way he walked. His voice echoed throughout,

"For Centuries, there has never been a High Lady bear a crown of Prythian's Courts until I had made my mate the first," His eyes looking back smugly to Feyre.

"Tonight, I crown my Daughter as the first High Princess of the Night Court."

People muttered around the room, their eyes, looking at Katherina. There were so many, she couldn't track what exactly they were feeling of this new found news yet she could see one thing...

Fear.

Fear of her.

She felt her fathers hands brush her head as he went to place on her crown. The Darkness shadow curled around her ankle, as if it was anchoring her from the weight she will soon-

"You can't be serious," A voice hissed.

This male of golden hair and pale skin stood just feets from them. Hatred, seeming to roll off him. Katherina recognized him.

Keir, Steward of Hewn City and Father of Morrigan.

Imbecile, The voice snarled.

"Don't you see who she looks like?" Keir said, his words directed to Katherina. "Her skin, her hair, her face, She looks just like Amarantha."

Just by the mention of her name, the Court of Nightmares shook. Everyone trembled just at the sound of her name.

Her father's face turned deadly, the inner circle glared through blood eyes at Keir. As if they can kill him with just a look.

The voice inside her smiled, finding humor in the situation.

"It's Katherina," She calmly corrected. There was no need to get worked up, He had mistaken her, so she'll fix that.