Epilogue

Alera was so very tired, but she forced herself to stay awake as the horse was trotting, swaying her slowly. The Ghostlands were just as gloomy as she remembered them to be. And just as familiar and somehow calming now, that she was seeing the land again, after so many years. The tree branches weaved slowly above their heads as they walked on the paved road. She could even hear a few bird trills here and there. But they were so close now. After riding for a few hours now, she knew they would reach the Eversong Woods soon.

‘Get some sleep. I promise to wake you when we get there’, Asendriel said, wielding the reins.

‘No’, Alera yawned, leaning on his back. ‘We’re pretty close. I want to see it.’

‘At our current pace, it’s still at least one more hour.’, Tellor said, riding next to them.

‘It’s fine.’, she smiled happily. ‘The view is beautiful!’
Far from someone to call the Ghostlands beautiful, although it once was, before being overrun by the deadly Scourge in their invasion of Silvermoon. But to her, after seeing only a small part of the Badlands for so long, it looked amazing and tranquil and safe. She felt home.

After finding and rescuing Asendriel, she assumed she passed out because she didn’t remember anything, except waking up to Mi’lune’s healing touch. It was darker than she remembered, and they weren’t in the same place anymore, but the young night elf girl was with her. And so was Asendriel, sitting next to her. 

The blood elf smiled relieved as Alera opened her eyes and looked around. They were in a small grove, still in the Wetlands, but at least hidden from the travelers that would take the main road. The trees were sheltering them from the rain and a small fire was burning close, warming her. The gryphon was sleeping soundly on the other side.

‘Where...’ she stated, and even speaking seemed to rob her of all her strength.

‘When I came to, you were passed out on me and bleeding all over’, Asendriel said. ‘We were still surrounded by all those guards you killed, so I moved us away from the main road, before someone could find us.’

Slowly the pain was returning to her, but not as bad as she remembered it. Looking, she noticed her wounds were wrapped and that Asendriel’s shirt was missing. Asendriel noticed her gaze and reassured her.

‘I’m fine, don’t worry about it. And most of the poison wore off.’

Alera smiled and the blood elf continued:

‘Mi’lune was amazing!’, he said and Alera could see the girl blushing. ‘She’s a very skilled druid and can turn into a bird! She flew all the way here and found us. She’s been healing you ever since.’

‘Thank you.’, Alera said, grateful. ‘I’m fine now. Please, take a break!’

‘Not yet. This wound is still serious.’, she said, focusing on her side, where one of the guards stabbed her.

Alera fell back asleep shortly, as Asendriel was still talking to her. She could still make out bits and bits of words as she succumbed to a deep, dreamless sleep, with her hand in his.

When she woke again it was morning and all her pain was gone, but a few small scars remained on her body. She could see the one on her arm and the one on her side and she could reach and feel the one on her back.
‘I’m sorry for those...’, said Asendriel, startling her. She turned to see him sitting down next to her, with his back against a tree. The fire was out and there were no signs of the night elf girl.

‘Don’t be!’, she said, kneeling in front of him and hugging him. She wrapped her arms around his neck and nuzzled against his cheek. ‘To me, they mean that I managed to find you!’