Punishment

No one said a single word as they descended deeper beneath the dungeons. Alera could feel her hands clammy and trembling. Both her and Tellor were taken away in their light armor and the cold and the humidity started nestling in them, crawling on their skin. But even so, Alera couldn’t figure out what was the real cause of her tremble. Was it the cold or the fear?

As they reached the familiar metal doors, the guards pushed, opening them, revealing the whipping chamber. She heard Tellor shift and stir. He had never seen it before. To her surprise, Baruing was already there, pacing like a trapped lion. His eyes reflected the light from all the candles displayed in the room, giving him the look of a madman and a dangerous allure.

He turned his head and without saying another word, pointed to the wall on his left, where several hooks were shoved into the wall, with the pointy end facing the ceiling. Alera had noticed them before, but was too afraid to think about their purpose...until now, that is. The guards hung their handcuffs by their chains in the hooks, forcing them into an uncomfortable position with their hands up, above their heads.

Baruing was still pacing when several other sounds made their way to the chamber, their echoes amplified by the stone walls. It soon became clear they were steps and around six men walked  inside, carrying a seventh one.

The chamber was badly illuminated, but as soon as they stood in the door, Alera recognised the long black hair and panic rose in her heart when she saw that he was severely  bruised and not moving. She followed them, staring with big, watery eyes as they cuffed Asendriel in the middle, facing them. After this, all the guards moved and remained on hold near the opposite wall.

Baruing didn’t waste another second and stepped in front of Asendriel, glaring at his lowered head. He grabbed his hair in his fist, forcing his head upward, facing him and continued in his ice cold voice:

‘What the hell were you trying to do?!’

Alera felt chills running down her spine at each word.

‘I asked you a question!’ shouted Baruing, punching the blood elf with all his might.

Asendriel grunted, a trail of blood running down his face, from his lips to his chin and Alera couldn’t keep quiet anymore.

‘My Lord-’ she started, but Baruing turned around and in a second silenced her with another punch. She felt a metallic taste in her mouth and knew he drew blood.

‘I will not have either of you interfere!’ he yelled at her and she felt several drops of spit falling on her cheek.

‘The punishment for what you all did will be severe’.

His voice lowered dangerously as he walked to a table and picked up a whip. He walked behind Asendriel and looking in Alera and Tellor’s direction, he continued:

‘All three of you will pay for this insolence. And considering the gravity of your deeds, I have decided on an extra rule that will teach you the consequences of your accompliceness. Your lives will now be linked to one another. If one of you makes the tiniest sound, I will have the other two executed right before his eyes!’

So many thoughts exploded inside Alera’s head at Baruing’s decision, but fear overcame every bit of ration she had left, fear for her life, but especially for Tellor’s and Asendriel’s lives. She knew the thirst for blood that deweled inside Baruing’s poisoned mind. Was it even possible to survive this? Was a mere thought of freedom worth this trial that awaited them? She felt her eyes sting in the back of her head and her vision started getting blurry.

She saw Baruing lifting his hand in the air, but couldn’t look further, so, closing her eyes, she turned her head away, hoping to prevent the sounds entering her mind as well. But she heard the first lash and she winced. It was as if she had felt part of the pain it inflicted on her own back.

‘Oh no, my dear! You have to look! You have to see every detail. Who knows, it may be the very last thing you see.’ came Baruing’s voice and she felt her head jerked. She opened her eyes and saw one of the guards forcing her to look forward.

Asendriel was looking back at her, his eyes gentle but determined. He wasn’t going to let either of them die. The next lash came immediately, but Asendriel didn’t turn away from her and neither did she. She didn’t know how much time passed until Baruing was satisfied. Asendriel passed out and blood gathered beneath him in a small puddle.

‘Next!’ said Baruing leaving the blood elf’s side. Two guards came and uncuffed Asendriel while two others came and took Tellor.

Alera thought she would have traded places eagerly with Tellor. She wanted to pass out as soon as possible, avoiding watching this absurd and cruel display of dominance.

After cuffing Tellor in the middle and Asendriel next to Alera, the guards returned near the opposite wall. Alera listened carefully and heard Asendriel breathing. He was breathing slowly and at abnormal intervals, but nonetheless, he was alive. She looked at Tellor as Baruing stood behind him, smiling sadistically with the whip in his hand. She wanted to do more for Tellor, but all she could do was to look at him, offering him what little determination she had left.

The lashes came without a warning, biting off his unclothed skin. Alera saw him straining himself, as each lash rained on him. But all this time, he, as his general before him, didn’t break the connection between them until he had passed out as well.

With a broken heart and with her cheeks wet from silent tears, Alera watched as Baruing continued after Tellor stopped reacting. She wanted to scream for him to leave him alone, but all she could do was hope. Hope that both blood elves will survive.

‘Finally, it’s your turn, my dear. I see you enjoyed the show’, Baruing said smiling as he studied her wet face. ‘Honestly, I don’t know which one of you is more to blame for all this mess’, he continued as the guards switched Tellor’s and Alera’s places.

‘The brunette one for trying to escape. The blond one for helping. Or you for suggesting…’

He stopped behind her, tracing his fingers on her cold back, down her spine.

‘Do you know why I left you last?’

Of course she knew. His aim had never changed: breaking her. Breaking her both physically and mentally. Breaking her beyond salvation. Breaking her until she begged for death.

‘Of course you know, my dear. After all, our relationship is quite...intimate’, he chuckled.

The first lash came, leaving a burning trail on her back. Then another one, and another one. She kept her eyes on the silent blood elves in front of her. She looked at their bloodied faces, burning them in her mind, as Baruing rained pain over her until, at last, blissful darkness overcame her.

She heard a gentle voice soothing her as warm, familiar hands made their way around her back. She opened her eyes, slowly adjusting to the light inside the healing quarter. She was lying on her stomach but she felt she didn’t have the strength to get up. She blinked twice, looking around confused. When did she get here?

Sniffing sounds drew her attention and with the corner of her eye, she saw the blue skinned troll, with a worried look on her face. Safina was healing her and realising she had survived Baruing’s torture, she felt like she could breathe again. But the sensation only lasted a few seconds and without wasting other precious ones, she jumped out of the improvised bed. She ignored the pain that darted throughout her body, the second she moved, and grabbing Safina’s small shoulders she asked, almost yelling:

‘The other blood elves! Were they here?’

Safina looked confused for a moment and stuttering, she answered, trying to calm her down:

‘Just one of dem, child...da blonde one.’