The only way

He held his hand close to his face. So close he could feel his warm breath over his palm, but yet he couldn't even see its outline. He lifted his fingers and touched his lips and nose, almost to make sure of the distance, but the feeling of his cracked lips came as a terrible confirmation.

He had hoped that after a time, his vision would get used to the absence of light, but he wasn't granted such fortune and instead, he remained engulfed in a darkness so thick he felt he could cut it with a knife.

He had no idea how long ago Baruing sent him to the Black Chamber. He had started counting the seconds that went by, at first to get an idea of how much time had passed, but later on he continued just so that he could avoid the loneliness that crept closer and closer, hanging over him like a giant wave.

Soon, he began to lose count as his mind got distracted with terrible thoughts that pulled at him from every direction in the dark. And at their core she stood, going further and further away from him.

His chest tightened as he tried to focus on her white hair and green eyes. She was like a small solace in all the blackness that had cornered him and all the other horrible thoughts that mawed at him second after second. But it felt as if she was slipping more and more between his fingers, the more he thought of her.

At times, the atmosphere became unbearable and he would panic, thinking that death awaited him, in the shadows, in one of the wall cracks. He tightened his fist, missing the sensation of her hand in his. He could almost see her clearly in the dark and deep inside he hoped to see her again.

He received food four or five times, so he thought that at least as many days had passed since he was imprisoned, although he doubted that Baruing would be so caring as to allow him to eat once a day. But he had no confirmation since no one ever talked to him.

When his first meal came, he was famished  but he still tried to speak with the guard that brought it. However, he got the same result as when he tried to speak with the healer that took care of his wounds: only silence. Later on, he started screaming to see if anyone would show up, but no one did and he remained alone, with a dry throat, thinking of Alera. Was she alive? Was she hurt? Has Baruing done anything to her? This thought alone was enough to make his blood boil and his head to spin. If he had touched her again...

The seconds and moments passed and he felt he had been locked forever, when the cruel reality hit him: he had to get out. He couldn't take it any longer. He stood on all fours and searched the dungeon for anything that could prove useful, but he only found dirt and stones, with no real possibility for an escape plan. Except one.

He touched the wall in front of him, feeling the indentations and cracks. The only thing left to do now was to wait for his next meal.

The darkness and silence were almost overwhelming and his patience was almost gone completely when he heard steps outside the Chamber. There was a loud metallic sound and the faint light that followed hurt his eyes. As the guard made his way with a chunk of hard bread and a bit of water, the blood elf said slowly, in a hoarse voice:

'Tell Baruing I have a proposition for him.'

His voice, louder than he expected, sounded unknown, like a stranger had spoken in his stead.

The guard had no reaction, but he expected this much so he started nibbling on his food, trying to sate his hunger. It had no taste  but it was better than nothing. The guard left as quiet as he came in and once again the darkness and silence engulfed him. At this point, he could only wait and hope that Baruing would take his words into account.

Silence and darkness fell upon him once again and, with nothing else to do, he laid down on his back, the cold floor sending shivers down his body. He waited and waited, but it seemed that Baruing ignored him completely. Or did the guard not even pass his words? He felt his mind slowly slip away as he became more and more anxious. He changed positions a thousand times and after that he started pacing around the small space. He got angry and, panicking, he threw his fists at the closest wall, pounding it and screaming, but after a while he got tired and calmed down. He could only try again when his next meal came.