As the world dissipated, Cross tensed, but was caught off guard at what he saw next. A gorgeous night sky was painted above him and a well used dirt path lay before him. A thick forest surrounded either side of the path and the moon light shone gently through the trees. 

"Walk with me." Shattered commanded as he began his way down the seemly endless road.

Cross, however, didn't move. 

Shattered looked over his shoulder, then asked casually, "Well?

Still standing quite still, Cross asked suspiciously, "Why are you letting me live?" 

Shattered sighed and stopped. As he turned to face Cross, he answered, "I'm tired."

 Cross raised a brow bone questioningly. "From?" Shattered shrugged, and Cross snorted. "Forgive me, for not being more empathetic to the monster who killed and is killing everyone I ever knew how to love."

"Don't say such things! I might begin to think you don't like me." Cross shot Shattered an unimpressed look. Shattered shook his head, then turned once more, motioning for Cross to follow. 

Cross heaved a heavy sigh, then teleported to Shattered's side. He allowed his knife to disappear and they walked in silence for a time. "So... you're going to let me live?"

Shattered scoffed, then answered, "Please. Of course I'm going to kill you. Just not yet.

Cross was silent for a few seconds, before speaking again. "You can't just be killing us for the heck of it, right? Something tells me you're more than just a mindless villain." 

Shattered nodded, then answered, "Heroes, villains, we're all somewhere in the middle.

"That... doesn't answer my question."

Shattered smiled, not looking at Cross but instead the worn road. "Yes, I have a reason for killing you.

"And the reason is...?" 

Shattered's tired smile disappeared, and he answered in a solemn tone, "I lost everything. So I'm building a new everything." Cross faltered, before smiling and chuckling softly. Shattered gave him a questioning look.

"Sounds like a perfect recipe for disaster." 

"How would you know?" Shattered asked darkly. 

"Because I tried to do the exact same thing." Shattered glanced at Cross, before returning his gaze to the road. They continued in thoughtful silence, when Cross chuckled, then thought aloud, "We're both more similar then I thought, I suppose. The only difference is you're stronger."

Shattered snorted, then said, "We're all so weak. We simply consider others stronger than us because they possess the strengths we happen to lack. I just happen to be really good at doing bad things.