◦༻ 36...The Reverend's Playground

Start from the beginning

"What-"

CRACK!

A cold palm swipes across Pei Ming's face, the faint sting of aftershock settles over him and he looks at Da Hong with wide eyes.

"What the hell was that for?!"

"For being a little shit and disregarding Ling Wen's workload." Pei Ming shoots him a confused look, "Do I need to slap you again— goddamit, do you even know how much work was pushed onto Ling Wen's shoulders because of your absence?!" Da Hong demands, jutting I finger in Pei Ming's chest when he said 'your'.

"...you came all the way over here just to tell me to do my work?" Pei Ming asks out of the blue, clearly still recovering from the slap.

"YES!" The sudden yell practically shakes the palace.

"NOW GET YOUR ASS IN YOUR OFFICE AND DO YOUR WORK BEFORE I HIT YOU SO HARD YOU GO FLYING ACROSS THE HEAVENS SO FAST THAT THE GODS WILL THINK YOU'RE A SAND BAG AS YOU FLY PAST THEIR PALACES!"

That makes Pei Ming's eyes go even wider as he's practically dragged to his office by a fuming Death.

Is this really how one reunites with someone they lost centuries ago? Pei Ming silently wonders, sending the back of Da Hong's head a look as he's dragged by his ear.

───༻ ❍ ༺───

The first thing Y/n hears in the flashback are sobs, the sobs and the wails of a woman. Y/n looks up and sees a woman who scarily resembles his (guardian #1), she's holding a baby in her arms, a crying baby. Y/n looks further and sees that the woman is being hugged from behind by a man who holds a dark expression as he looks at his baby.

"Da Luli, it's okay-" The man begins to whisper, reaching out to caress the baby's cheek with a hand, tenderly wiping away it's tears.

"No, no it's not. Our child was cursed the night he was born goddamnit!" The woman cries, biting her lip as she holds the baby to her chest.

Da Luli? Is that Da Hong's mom? Y/n faintly takes note of. Then the man should be Da Hong's father.

A knock clicks against the door, Da Luli's breath hitches and she scrunched backwards as the door slowly creaked open. A wave of relief rushes over her face when she sees the face of the man who just entered. Y/n's eyebrows shoot up at a glance of the familiar face.

Mei Nianqing.

"Mrs and Mr. Da, I was told your child's life was damaged by The Reverend Of Empty Words?" Da Luli nods profusely at Mei Nianqing's question, Da Xue begins to step forward and goes to Mei Nianqing, taking his cloak for him and shutting the door as softly as he can for how stressed he is.

"Our son was cursed in his own crib last night. He was said to have his life shortened profusely and suffer in the afterlife." Da Xue explains as Mei Nianqing takes the baby into his own arms from Da Luli's. The baby almost immediately quiets down in Mei Nianqing's arms, curling up against him and clinging at the tassels braided into his hair. Mei Nianqing makes no move to stop the tiny baby as it plays with one of them.

Mei Nianqing presses two fingers against the baby's forehead as it's distracted with the red tassel, Da Luli chews at her nails as a faint gold light appears on the baby's forehead. Mei Nianqing mumbles a few words, too quiet for even Y/n to hear from where he's standing next to Mei Nianqing. The light fades after a few moments and Mei Nianqing passes the baby over to Da Luli. The couple look at Mei Nianqing with hopeful eyes.