13

'To be honest I'm surprised at you, Georgia,' Natalie told her.

Georgia, Natalie and John were sitting at a table in the common area talking quietly together. It was late and they were alone except for a guy lounging on the couch flicking through 'Lonely Planet's guide to The Middle East'. The curtains were open wide, revealing the glow of Hamrachi's busy nightlife.

'But it's nothing to lose your head over,' she finished.

It had been a few days since her night with Ali and Georgia still wasn't feeling good about it. She had seen Hana a couple of times since but the woman wasn't really speaking with her.

'Well, could you tell that to Hana and Jasper for me?' Georgia said, taking a sip of coffee.

'Forget about Jasper, he can be an arrogant cockhead sometimes,' John said, cleaning his glasses with his shirt. He looked tired. Both he and Natalie had stayed out together late last night. They had been dating since their dance at Red Chilli.

'And as for Hana, she'll get over it,' Natalie said.

'I hope so,' Georgia said. She looked up at them, suddenly fearful. 'You don't think she'll boot me out or anything, do you?'

'No. Hana's not like that.'

'Hmm.' Looking away, Georgia brushed an imaginary hair off her arm as the tears swelled in her eyes.

'Try not to worry, Georgia, I'm sure everything will be fine,' Natalie said.

Georgia nodded. Ali hadn't called her since that night, but she hadn't expected him too. She knew what he'd wanted, and she knew what she was getting herself into. She wasn't a fool, even if the others were convinced she was.

When Natalie and John left to go to bed, Georgia stayed behind and watched television. She flicked through the channels, trying her best not to think of home without much success. She really needed to call her parents, not only to hear a loving voice but because she had promised to call them at least twice a week. It had been two weeks since she had called them last, and she was feeling badly about it.

She left for the bathroom. After washing her face, she returned, only to find she was no longer alone; Rana was scuttling down the hallway, wrapped from head to foot in a thick and heavy abaya.

'Rana?' Georgia said. The girl stopped with a start. 'What are you still doing here? I thought your shift finished hours ago.'

Frozen mid-step, Rana turned to look at her, ashen-faced.

'Are you okay?' Georgia raised her eyebrows.

Rana rubbed her hands down her gown nervously, eyes darting from side to side. 'Oh, yes, I'm fine. I'm just ... just looking for ... for something. My phone! Yes, that's right. I think I left it behind. You haven't seen it, have you?'

Georgia held back a snort. Rana was never without her phone. Georgia shook her head, playing along. Whatever she was up to, it wasn't Georgia's problem. Rana might act like a silly little girl, but she was old enough to make her own mistakes.

'Oh well, I'll keep looking, I guess.' She hurried back the way she had come, Georgia watching her go.

Later that night, Georgia woke, blood rushing to her ears. Something had woken her. She listened out but could only hear the whirl of the fan and the rumble of traffic from down below. She rolled onto her side and glanced at Bianca. She was sleeping soundly, spreadeagled, all her sheets kicked down to the bottom of her bed. Georgia turned on her other side and closed her eyes, only to open them again with a jolt at the sound of a shriek.

'What was that!' Bianca hissed, sitting up, clutching the sheet to her chest.

Georgia sat up too, listening hard, heart pounding, Bianca looking at her fearfully in the darkness. They both froze at a dreadful peal just outside their door: 'La, la, la, la, la.'