19

Seeing the girl squirm in her chair sent thrills down his spine, a feeling he hasn't felt for a long time. Her face scrunched in agony as sweat coated her bronze skin, matting her ebony hair to her forehead. He watched her wither under his spell until her small whimpers and movement stilled. Her head dropped silently against her chest. 

A smirk naturally crawled up onto his face. Her mind was so easily pliable that it only took seconds for his gift to take its toll. One look and he could trap his victims into their worst nightmares until they are nothing but an empty shell of who they once were. 

Feeling satisfied with the results, he moved from the frozen state that he's been in and made his way toward the warehouse's opening. He stepped over the body of the nurse he killed a few moments ago. With the girl's current state, he found no use for the nurse and her equipment. After all, no one can escape his gift. 

...

It's all your fault. 

You should've died instead.

You...

Heavy words swirled around her like a dark storm cloud across the once blue sky. The voices of her parents soon became her own, echoing louder and louder. She had stopped screaming, her voice raw and sore. Her crying ceased until there were nothing left.

She laid on the wooden floor of her old house, her body curled up into  a ball. A weight had settled over her, keeping her anchored to the floor. She couldn't find a reason to move anymore. 

What was the point? The two most important people in her life were gone. She's better off being forgotten- just like the very house she was in. 

"So, this is where you've been. Geez, I've been looking all over for you."

A new voice jolted her so badly, she shot up from her curled position as if the floor was burning her skin. What surprised her more was that the voice wasn't her own nor was her parents. 

She blinked her eyes, moisture bringing her sight to focus on the small figure in front of her. A young boy with a lanky body that hid the promise of growth. Black hair fell down his face, reaching to the bottom of his chin. When she looked closer, she noticed his face still held its roundness, but she found herself thinking about how the roundness would soon shape into a strong jawline. 

He was wearing the clothes that she last saw him in before she had left the next day. Dark-blue Levi shorts and a simple red t-shirt. Old black tennis shoes that were barely hanging onto his feet from all the time he spent outside. 

Lila looked down at her blood-stained hands. Why was she seeing him suddenly? Did her soul finally give up and this is what her heaven looks like? 

"Hey, Chee. Are you deaf or something?"

Lila's mouth moved on it own, her voice quavering from earlier. "I heard you. I just wanted to be alone for a second."

She heard the boy snort in front of her. She looked up to see him crossing his arms over his chest. A dark brow rose in question. "Alone? What's that going to do?"

A ghost of emotions flowed over her, a overwhelming of anger, loss, and love. She suddenly cried out in frustration, "You wouldn't understand! Nobody does."

Surprise by her outburst, the boy's hands flew up in surrender. He made an attempt to smile, but it came off more awkward-looking. "H-hey. I was only messing with you. I didn't mean to get you all mad."

She looked away from him only to realize she wasn't inside the house anymore. Her head swiveled around her, taking in her new surroundings, only to discover that it wasn't a new place.