16

Jacob flipped to his side for the millionth time in a row. He took a deep breath, attempting to clear his mind and get some more sleep. But, unfortunately, the sudden sound of running water interrupted his attempt. 

His dad must be up. He'll probably call out or knock on the door in a minute. Jacob opened his eyes with no trouble.  The wind was beginning to pick up, the cold seeping into his window.  He sat up, his eyes resting on the space next to him.

He thought Lila would've crawled back to his side after her phone call. When he woke up the first time, daylight broke through the clouds, and she wasn't there.  She must of went to go check up on her friend. Still, an uneasiness settled in his stomach, making going back to sleep difficult. 

Slipping into pair of boxers and shorts, he opened his bedroom door and walked to the bathroom. He brushed his teeth and splashed water onto his face. He glanced at his reflection. It was always shocking to see how much his physical body had changed. His once short hair was growing out to the point where he constantly pushed his hair back. Looking at himself, he couldn't see the long-haired native boy from months ago. 

He switched the light off and walked to the kitchen.

His dad settled himself near the couch, watching the news in the living room—the house flooded with the scent of coffee and pine wood. 

"Hi, son. Did you sleep well?" His dad asked from the usual spot he takes when watching the news. 

Jacob opened the fridge and looked around for something to eat before heading out. The corner of his mouth twitched, but the unsettling feeling in his gut stopped him.

Instead, he answered, "A bit."

"I know what you're feeling, son. The night before a fight keeps you on your toes until it's happening. So don't worry too much. It'll be over before you know it."

He pulled out the milk and settled it on the counter.  He set down a bowl and pulled the cereal box from the top of the fridge.

As he poured the cereal into the bowl, he asked his dad, "How was dinner? I didn't even hear you come in last night."

His dad scoffed, "A hurricane could be hitting this house, and you would still be asleep. "

Jacob rolled his eyes and took a seat at the table with his breakfast. 

"It was fine. Sue was nervous about Seth, but she understood what's at stake."

He ate his cereal as the news warned about a sudden storm tonight. He didn't need a news anchor to tell him about the weather. He could feel the temperature dropping, even though it didn't affect him like it used to. The uneasiness in his stomach was growing more than he liked.

He finished his breakfast and put the bowl into the sink. 

"I'm gonna check in with Quil and Embry." He said to his dad as he walked to the front door.

"Wait," Jacob turned to see his dad wheeling himself towards the door.

His dad held up a thick parka, "For Bella. It's gonna be freezing where you guys are headed. She's going to need to stay warm."

Jake nodded and accepted the jacket.

"Jake," His dad placed a copper-weathered hand on Jacob's arm. "Be careful and watch your back. I'm proud of you, and I love you, son."

Jacob smiled warmly at his dad, "Love you, too. Don't worry, and I'll be back before you know it."

With that said, his dad squeezed his arm and let his hand fall to his lap. Jacob opened the door, jogging out of his yard and into the familiar forest.