11

"Are you sure this is a good idea?"

"School's almost over and I don't want to be chopped up in pieces for the summer."

Lila stared at Jared and Embry with an impatient look. They were currently in a small clearing that they sometimes passed by when they were on patrols. She had asked her uncle if she could borrow Jared and Embry for a bit before starting on their rounds. 

She was done explaining the reason why she brought them here and what she wanted to do when they began to complain.

"Look, this idea has been bugging me since the bonfire. I need to do this or at least try. So, can you guys please help me?" Lila pleaded, looking at Jared and then Embry.

Embry sighed and nodded his head. He gave her a small smile, "This wouldn't be the first time I was dragged into one of your ideas."

She knew she could count on him and waited for Jared's response. She gave him the most pleading look she could muster. A couple of seconds later, he threw his hands up in the air and called out, "Fine! Let's try it."

Lila smiled and walked away from their view. Once she knew they couldn't see her, she began to undress. Nerves began to build up in her stomach. She couldn't tell if her idea was going to work or not. It was mostly a theory, but she didn't tell Embry and Jared that, or else they would've backed out. She would've backed out if they did.

Standing naked, she took a few deep breaths. She had to do this. She was tired of the blanks in her memories and always filling them with the pack's input. If she was going to take down vampires, she, at least, needs herself. 100% of her.

 Jared and Embry shared a look, hearing branches break a little away from where they were. They slowly walked over and approached the wolf with caution. They usually didn't show themselves like this. It was always better for the pack if they phased.

The female was padding around, lifting her head when they came close to her. Right off the back, her hackles began to rise with a low growl vibrating through her entire body.

"This was a bad idea," Jared muttered to the boy next to him.

Embry whispered, "We need to trust Lila. Just like she trusts us."

"Yeah, I trust her. But not when she wants to rip me apart." Jared whispered-shouted.

Embry shrugged his shoulders, "You'll heal."

The two boys stopped their bickering and turned their attention to the growling wolf in front of them. They nodded at each other and avoided her eyes. Their postures were straight with their arms in front of them. They waited. The only sound they could hear was their heartbeats and the animalistic breathing that was in front of them.

Jared bit his lip, trying to keep his nerves under control while Embry was calm. Jared tried not to jump as he felt something wet nudge his arm. Out of the corner of his eye, he could make out Lila sniffing his arm and slowly walking behind him, her fur brushing against his. She did the same thing with Embry, taking more time with him than Jared.

They heard a sudden thump noise and what sounded like a huff. This must be the sign, Jared thought. The boys slowly turned their heads to see a wolf sitting in front of them, her gaze calm and steady.

Jared glanced at Embry, "What do we do now? Run?"

Embry gave him a look and shook his head, "You're pathetic."

Embry turned his attention back to the wolf, who are peering at him with an inquisitive eye. He smiled at her and spoke in a friendly tone, "So this was your idea, huh? You just wanted to be a part of the pack. Pretty clever if you ask me."

Lila huffed, raising her head a little bit higher.

"I still don't get how you wanted to murder us before. What made this time any different?" Jared questioned.

The wolf shortly growled at Jared causing him to take a few steps back. Embry laughed, quickly covering his mouth when he saw the glare Jared was giving him.

Embry looked back at Lila and smirked, "Let's see if her idea worked."

The boys turned and walked away from the wolf. A minute passed before two wolves emerged from the woods and into the clearing. The three wolves were about the same size with Lila being more slender than the boys. In an instant, their thoughts were connected. Their minds soaking up whatever was there.

Hmmm...Is it just me or is there something off? Jared questioned, his head tilting to the side.

Embry stepped forward. You're right. I can see glimpses of her thoughts, but it's not the same. 

Lila, on the other hand, was able to perceive what was going on, but it was foggy for her. As if she was barely able to stay conscious. She knew that Embry and Jared were in front of her and that they weren't a threat. This is how she felt every time she phased, but eventually, she would let go of herself and that was where the blanks started.

This time, she needed to stay awake.

Keep talking, Lila voiced out, hoping they would be able to receive her message.

Embry's ears pricked up. Oh! I heard that one. 

Jared sat down and then sprawled his front legs on the ground. Let's start with something easy. What did you eat this morning?

They spent a good hour throwing random topics to talk about. Anything that would keep Lila conscious and for the most part, her theory was working. Once she got familiar with Embry and Jared in her wolf form, it was easy for her to keep the connection.

The idea came to her after the bonfire. She was laying on her bed, letting the night events replay in her head. She kept thinking about how Taha Aki's emotions were too big, too human for the wolf's body. In doing so, he was able to change into his human self.

She remembered the first time she phased. Goosebumps still appeared on her arms. She was consumed by fear and anger. Instead of her trauma making her human, it only led to burying herself within her wolf. 

She thought of how she could overcome her situation, considering no one knew the answer. Then, she realized that one time with Jake in the forest. Being near him helped her wake up and change back. Most importantly, he was able to bring her human side back.

Back to the present, she was walking back to Emily's on her own. Sam had called for the boys which meant their little experiment was over. She was proud of how much progress she had made and knew that eventually, she could return home. To herself.

a/n : Hi again.