TWENTY-FIVE

Regina Cueva

Ascot, Franchia

Saturday, November 10' 2018

Luckily, La Mantra had run away the moment gunshots were fired. It's been two weeks since the incident and no one saw or heard from him ever since. Moreover, the club got fixed in less than 24 hours, so we kept working like nothing ever happened. I tried taking advantage of La Mantra's disappearance but couldn't find anything, his office was like a fortress. It was hard to get in.

"Earth to Jennifer, I've been calling you for hours." A voice said and I snapped out of it as I glanced at Emily, "Sorry!" I smiled sheepishly, shaking my head at her, "So, I met this guy, he's like so hot and he asked me on a date. I mean, I've never been on a date before and I'm super nervous. I mean, I'm a stripper. He's just trying to sleep with me and not that I don't want to but," She kept going as I interrupted.

"Em, Emily! You are so into him. You are rambling. I've known you for two weeks already and I've never seen you this nervous before. I'd say, give him a chance. Maybe he's different and really want to get to know you better."

"You really think so?" She asked excitedly.

"Yes, I do. Now, let's get you a dress." I smiled at her as I stood from the bar stool. "We should be practicing." She replied but I rolled my eyes at her with a wave. "We can practice later, and now let's go." I grabbed my bag and snatched her hand as I dragged her out of the club, waving at a taxi.

"Come on." I stared at her with a smile as we got into the taxi. "To the mall." I said and turned to look at Emily excitedly, grabbing her hand in mine with a squeeze, "He will surely drool when he sees you. I guarantee." I assured her joyously.

She shook her head and squeezed my hand back, "I feel like a schoolgirl." She giggled. "And you should, we all need to feel that burst of giddiness and happiness. It reminds us, we are human, and we need love and affection. I'm happy for you Emily, I hope that he can help you get out." I said caringly.

"I can't Jen, we can't. Once we're in, there's no way out. La Mantra will never let us go." She replied with a sad face.

Afterwards, the car ride went silent and I turned to look out of the window, I was so caught up into finding my kids that I forgot that no one knew who he was. Now that I had seen him, he would never let me leave. I was stupid enough to think that I could find my kids on my own and just get out.

This was so much bigger than I thought, and the end was nothing but to kill or be killed. Waving off that thought, I focused on Emily. We were here to have fun and get a dress for her date. I could think about La Mantra later.

Emily and I went into the shops, she tried out dresses as we both laughed, posed and ended up changing our clothes. She popped out of the dressing room as she posed, touching her body and turning around.

I laughed and shook my head at her, "No." She closed the curtains and came out after a few minutes, dancing and shaking her head in a goofy way. I burst into laughter and felt from the couch, standing up with a hair flip – I looked around to see if someone saw me.

I pressed my lips together as I tried to stop my laughter, slapping my hand over my mouth, "They will kick us out." Emily warned. "Yeah, no. I don't like any of these dresses. Let's get out of here." I replied hardly controlling myself as Emily got back inside and changed back into her jeans.

After hours of searching for the perfect dress, we finally got it. It was so perfect. "Shit! We're late, let's go." She checked her watch and we giggled as we ran out of the mall, waving at the taxis driving by.