CHAPTER ONE

Regina Rodríguez

Rosewood, Franchia

Friday, January 19' 2001

The day I met Lorenzo Cueva.

I was a woman with ambition, I wanted nothing else but to be successful – so I worked hard. I never went out or partied hard but tonight, tonight was an exception. After successfully signing a business deal for my father, my friends wanted us to go out and celebrate. I was a step closer to flying on my own, so I said to myself, why not? I might be young, but I had worked since I was fifteen, thus, I became a different person. While other girls partied, I focused on getting my money to pay my own bills. Now at the age of twenty, I was already a woman standing in her shoes.

I wore a dress, though not something special. It was a short black dress that reached mid-thigh, the layers of the silk material of the dress dripped down my cleavage and the back was fully naked. I'd never dressed like that before, but it felt right that night. I felt sexy and confident.

My curly hair was silk pressed and reaching mid back. Wearing my hair straight was another thing I'd never dared to do before because I loved my curls. I looked completely different; it wasn't the Regina Rodríguez I was used to look at in the mirror.

I was a whole new person, but this change made me feel good about myself. As we approached the club entrance, the bouncer at the door let us in, "Have a great night." We walked into the crowded room, our entry paralyzed a couple of people, and we couldn't help but laugh. No one could deny that we were a crew of attractive-looking women. "Welcome to the V.I.P section ladies." we entered the private and secluded room as the bouncer guided us towards our table.

"Can we have a round of tequila please?" Natasha asked as my eyes peered around the dark yet relaxed atmosphere room. "Regina come on, we're here to celebrate." Natasha, what can I say about my friend? She was twenty-one years old, tall and gorgeous black woman with an hourglass figure – dips and curves in all the right places. Big bright red kinky hair brushed against her shoulders, freckles covering most of her face and a cute little button nose.

She was gorgeous.

"Yes, tonight. We will get drunk, not just drunk but drunk-drunk. The getting laid drunk, the 'I'm too drunk and horny that I need some hard sex' drunk." I dragged my rolling my eyes at Rubi, my sex-educational friend. She was a petite, fighter, troublemaker and she didn't give a fuck. Jet black, thick and wavy hair like the night cascaded down her back. Natural big lips that were to die for and catty eyes, at nineteen, she was a total diva.

"Cheers to that sis." Mariana pointed up, taking our drinks right out of the server's tray.

Mariana was average height, with short blond hair caressing her neck and unique deep ocean blue eyes. Mariana was the type of girl who goes with the flow. She tells you what's on her mind without any filters. My friend was straightforward and one of a kind. However, you can always count on her. At the age of twenty-two, she was already the owner of a nail salon.

I was surrounded by successful women.

"Hmm! Cheers to love, cheers to new beginnings and most importantly, cheers to sex." We all laughed at Rubi, our shot glasses clinging loudly against each other as we chugged down the warm and strong liquid down our throats.

"That's my jam, let's hit the floor." Rubi ushered everyone to stand up as we made our way towards the empty dance floor, Jumpin' Jumpin' – Destiny's Child's hit song was blasting through the speakers. We sang along with the lyrics; we knew them by heart.