Damien nodded curtly, listening intently at the same time.

It made sense that Mr Connor wouldn't want whatever it is he was trying to hide, come out in the open just like that.

But then he wasn't going to back down just because of this. He had sworn to get to the bottom of this as it was crucial, and he would definitely get there. No matter what it took.

Opening his drawer, he procured a checkbook, flipping open a page and writing a check of one million dollars, he tore it across and stretched it on the desk straight to Mr Rudiger.

Facing him sternly, he said, "That should help with whatever investigation you want to carry out. I don't care how you use it, just bring back the necessary information. If the investors ask for money, you know where to get one. You can holler my secretary and she'll get across to me, or better still you can contact me directly. And if you show up empty handed a second time, with this backhanded information again you won't have a place to show up to anymore. I'm serious here." He warned.

Mr Rudiger knew what those words meant and so he nodded in understanding, and exchanging farewell pleasantries since they were done here, he left with his lawyer.

"Fuck!" Damien yelled, hitting his hands against his desk in frustration. He hated how the investigation was beginning to seem stagnant. It had gone nowhere at all, procuring little or no information and he didn't like this at all.

The slow pace of things, only postponed his plans further.

He needed to bring the Connors down. Every single one of them, and he needed much information to do so, so he could know when, where and how to strike.

At the thought of the family he thoroughly despised once more, the only one he had once loved came to mind.

Madison.

He hated the way memories of her easily came to mind, and it was increasing of recent.

Without knowing exactly why, his eyes flickering and his mouth suddenly becoming dry, he started to think of the younger version of her.

Again, he was subtly taken back to the sort, reminiscing about all the times they had spent together.

He remembered how the sight of her used to take his breath away. How she always smelled of lavender and primroses, her strawberry blonde hair that perfectly framed her face, flaunting about in the cool breeze, and that smile of hers...

She had always had a beautiful smile. The most gorgeous he'd ever seen, he wouldn't deny, the image ingrained in his memory.

He felt a twinge of pain, his chest tightening agonizingly as he remembered the night of the event where they'd met each other after all these years.

She still looked like the Madison he knew, but her behavior said otherwise.

Now even the last image he had of her was the one where she had been sobbing, her eyes swollen as she picked up pieces of the glass that cut into her skin.

She had looked so terrified, obviously in pain and then he recalled how she'd scurried away, her hands and leg trembling with blood flowing down her skin...

His face hardened.

She had been in pain, just like he was.

She had been hurt, but it was nothing compared to the way she'd hurt and betrayed him, he kept reminding himself that.

She deserved every damn thing that she was going through though, he decided. And he would make sure that it would get a lot worse when he was done with her.