13

Chapter 13,

December 8th 1984,

It was a week before the snowball dance. Max and Jess went to the mall to buy dresses. "What about this one?" Max mumbles as she holds out a blue dress.

"I feel like it's too blue" Jess mutters. "We're never going to find anything! We're both too picky and we've been here for hours" max groans.

Every nice dress they saw was way too expensive which made it even harder. Both the girls noticed the comic store across from the dress store.

"Can we go there, I would much rather shop for comics than spend another two hours in this store" max says.

"I know. But didn't we come here for dresses?" Jess mumbles with a small laugh.

"Here I'll get this one" max says as she pulls out some random dress. "That one's nice. Try it on"

"Hey look, there's any other one in a different colour" max mumbles as she hands Jess the other dress.

Both the girls try it on. Honestly it didn't matter if it looked nice or not they were desperate.

"Ok now lets go to the comic store" Jess smiles and they run into the store, digging through the boxes and shelf's.

<3

Jess was wearing the dress she bought and a huge sweater on top of it. Kim was doing her hair and makeup.

"Are you exited?" Kim mumbles. "I don't know" Jess replied.

"Anyone you want to see at the dance?" Kim asks. Jess shrugs again but her face turns bright red. Kim was grinning so she obviously noticed.

"Who is it?"

"No one. I don't like anyone" Jess replied as she crossed her arms over her chest. "Okay" Kim mumbled.

"Ok. I do like someone. But we're best friends so if I told them then it would ruin everything. I don't want to talk about it"

"Ok" Kim mumbled with a small smile and focused on braiding her hair. "Do you like anyone?" Jess mocked.

Kim shook her head. "What about Steve?"

"No I don't like Steve"

"Bullshit" she whispered and Kim rolled her eyes. Jess's mom takes a few photos of her before she heads out. "Say cheese!"

"Cheese" Jess smiles.

<3

"Okay. I'll pick you up in an hour, if you want to stay longer you can. Have fun, ok?"

"Okay" Jess says as she hops out of the car. "Thank you" she mumbles before giving Kim a hug and running towards the school.

The gym was filled with balloons, streamers and Christmas decorations. Jess handed her ticket to mr Clarke and looked around the gym for any of her friends.

She saw Max, Mike and will talking so she joined them. "Hi!" She said with a bright smile. "Wow, are you wearing a dress?" Mike asks, sounding a little sarcastic.

Max rolls her eyes and grabs Jess's hand. "Come on, let's go get a photo" she said before running to the photo stand with Jess.