05

Chapter Five, 

Kimberly threw the door open and ran inside. "Jess! I'm home!" she yelled as she ran up to her sister's room only to see she wasn't there. "Jess?".

She heard a tv playing from the living room downstairs. The house was dark, with not a single light on except for a candle and the bright screen from the TV.

Jess was holding a bowl of candy which was tipped over and the floor was filled with chocolates and wrappers.

But Jessica wasn't the only one there, she was asleep with her head resting on top of the shoulder of a red-headed girl Kimberly has never seen before.

"Jess? Are you awake?" Kim asks as she taps her shoulder.

The raven girl's eyes opened and she quickly turned around to face Kimberly. "I thought you were at the party" she mumbled. "I was. I just got home" she replied with a small smile. Jessica woke up Max.

"This is Max, she's new" Jessica muttered. Kim smiled and waved to the younger girl and then went back to the conversation with her sister. "I'm guessing you didn't go trick or treating with the boys?". "No, we did. But then we decided to come back here and watch movies".

"Is Max staying the night?" Kim asked. "No". "Ok well, it's eleven o'clock".

☆ ゜・ 。。・ ゜゜・ 。。・ ゜★

The next morning led to Jessica waking up late because her alarm didn't wake up nor did her sister. An angry Jess ran to her room. "Kim! Why didn't you wake me up! I'm gonna be late" she yelled as she banged on the door.

She didn't get a response and considering last night she binged almost every horror movie to exist the one explanation for Kimberly not answering was that she was dead.

Somehow it was even worse, she was still asleep. "Kim?" Jess asked, she was convinced it wasn't Kimberly or maybe she was and she was trying to get her perfect nine hours of sleep.

"Kim?" Jess asked again. After no answer or movement, Jessica grabbed a pillow and smacked it on her sister's head. "Wake up! Wake up, wake up, wake up!" she repeated until the pillow got taken away from her.

"What are you doing awake?".

"I don't know".

"You don't know?".

"No. Well anyway, you have to drive me to school in five minutes" Jess said as she left the room very slowly.

Kimberly didn't say anything which made Jess even more scared but she decided to get ready instead of focusing on whatever was happening.

Kimberly didn't even leave her room she probably didn't even get out of bed, Jess gave up waiting for her and decided to bike to school.

☆ ゜・ 。。・ ゜゜・ 。。・ ゜★

Just as Jess made her way to the front door of her school she dropped her binder and all her loose papers flew out across the ground. "Shit" she mumbled as she tried picking them up.

Right behind her came Dustin who helped her. "You're late too?" she asked. "Yes, because I found something that will blow your mind".

"Blow my mind?".

"Yes!" Dustin said as he handed her a pile of papers. "Ok?".

They pushed the heavy doors open and slowly walked to Mr. Clarke's class. "Just meet me in the AV Club at lunch? Ok?".

Jess pushed the door open with all her weight as she expected the door to be heavy. Turns out it was super light and the door slammed into the wall making the loudest noise. "I'm so sorry" she mumbled as her whole face flushed with embarrassment.

Max tried to cover her face from laughing which just made the young raven girl smile.

Dustin ignored everything and ran to his desk. "I am so sorry, Mr. Clarke. I'm so sorry. Please continue with the class" he said before sitting down.

"What he said" Jess mumbled as she quickly walked to her seat.

"Although it wasn't a crowbar it was a rod, as I said"

Dustin turned to everyone. "We have to meet. All of us. At lunch. AV club".

"Why?".

"I have something that you won't believe".

"AV club lunch" Dustin mumbles loudly to Max.

"Dustin!".

"Yes, my lord?".

"Would you care to join the class now?".

"Please, yes".

"The case of Phineas Gage".

"Phineas Gage".

"Page 104".

"Page 104, 104" Dustin repeated.

Jessica didn't pay attention that whole class and focused on her math homework which was due next period.

☆ ゜・ 。。・ ゜゜・ 。。・ ゜★

"His name is D'Artagnan," Dustin says proudly as he opens his proton pack on the table. "Cute right? Dart for short".

"And he was in your trash?" Max asks.

"Foraging for food. You wanna hold him?" he asks and Max shakes her head immediately. "He doesn't bite," Dustin says as he hands it to her.

"Oh God, he's slimy!" She mocks it and then gives it to Jess. "I don't want it" she mumbled as she quickly gave it to Lucas.

"Ugh, he's like a living booger".

"Ugh, Oh God!".

Mike holds it closer to his face to get a closer look. "What is he?".

"My question exactly" Dustin replies as he grabs a bunch of books from his bag and throws them onto the table. "At first, I thought it was some type of pollywog".

"Pollywog?" Max asks.

"It's another word for tadpole. A tadpole is the larval stage of a toad".

"I know what a tadpole is".

"All right, then you know that most tadpoles are aquatic right? Well, Dart isn't. He doesn't need water".

"Yeah, but aren't their nonaquatic pollywogs?" Lucas asks.

"Terrestrial Pollywogs? Yep, two to be exact. Indirana semipalmata and the adenomera andreae, One's from India and the others from South America so how did one end up in my trash".

"Maybe some scientist brought it here and it escaped".

"Do you guys see that? Something inside of it just moved".

Mike moved the light closer to it and the monster screeched loudly which made everyone jump.

Jess grabbed Max's hand without even realizing it.

Dustin quickly caught Dart before it jumped off the table "I got you, little guy". Everyone looked scared and shocked from what they just witnessed but Will looked the worst. Almost like he knew something the others didn't.

"And there's another thing. Reptiles, they're cold-blooded. Ecothermic, right? They love heat, the sun. Dart hates it. It hurts him".

He likes it cold.

"So if he's not a pollywog or a reptile...".

"Then I've discovered a new species".

The bell rang and everyone quickly grabbed their things and ran out of the AV club. As Dustin, Lucas, Mike and Max walked ahead Jess waited with Will. He looked off.

"Will? Is everything ok?" she asked.

"I don't think so".

AN: I'm sorry It's taking so long to update this I'm really lazy also I'm failing math so I'm trying my best to not fail the class... if you're good at math please help me. Anyway, I'm working on a new chapter rn. Again, I'm sorry.