09

Chapter Nine,

The whole car ride was awkward. Four people and no one could think of anything to say. Hammer to fall played quietly in the background. Finally, Steve broke the silence by talking about Dart. "Wait a sec. How big is this thing?"

"First it was like that. Now it's like this" Dustin mumbles. "I swear to God man if it's just some lizard"

"It's not a lizard!"

"How do you know?"

"How do I know if it's not a lizard?"

"Yeah, how do you know?"

"Because his face opened up and he ate my cat!" Dustin yelled which made everyone go silent again. "If it's not a lizard then what is it?" Kim asked and everyone turned to her. "Shit. I forgot you didn't know"

"Didn't know what?" she asked. "We'll explain later" Jess muttered as Steve pulled into the Henderson's driveway. "Were here"

He pulled his bat out and everyone walked to the storm cellar. "I don't hear shit" Steve mumbled. "He's in there"

He lightly tapped it and heard nothing. He tapped it harder and there still wasn't any noise. "All right, listen, kids. I swear if this is some sort of Halloween prank. You're both dead"

"It's not a prank" Dustin mumbled. "Halloween was two days ago dumbass" Jess mutters. "Language" Kim whispers. "Do you have a key for this thing?"

Steve unlocks the doors. Dustin holds the flashlight for Steve as he looks around the room. "Give me that"

"He must be further down there" Dustin mumbles. "Jess and I will stay up here just in case. You know... He tries to escape"

Everyone including Jess looks at Dustin, Steve shakes his head and starts slowly walking down, Kim behind him. "Be careful" Steve told her as they made it further into the room. He turned on the light and then picked up some weird gooey thing from the ground.

"What the hell" Kim whispered. He tapped her shoulder. "Look"

"Holy shit"

"Steve? Kim?" Dustin mumbled after getting no answer he walked closer. "What's going on down there?"

It's quite for a minute and the two start to worry about Kim and Steve since they haven't answered them or made any noise.

"Should we go down?" Dustin suggests. Jess opens her mouth to answer but before words can come out Steve pops out of nowhere and startles both of them.

"Get down here. Both of you"

Without hesitation the two walk into the cellar. Steve points his bat to the huge hole in the wall.

"He dug out" Kim mumbled.

"Holy shit" Dustin whispers to himself as he walks closer to get a better look.

Everyone walks back up to the front yard. "Well what do we do now?" Steve asks.

"We get some sleep and then come up with a plan to capture Dart. Again" Dustin suggests. "We will all meet here. Tomorrow morning. Right?" Steve asks.

"Wouldn't it be easier to just all stay here for the night?" Jess asks. Dustin shrugs. "I have a spare room. Steve and Kim could sleep there"

Kim and Steve's face turns bright pink. "You don't have to sleep in the same bed. Someone can sleep on the floor" Jess adds.

They look at each other and still don't say anything.  Dustin and Jess ignore them and head back inside the house.

<3