Seventeen: Know Thy Enemy.

Start from the beginning

"I did what I had to do to get out of the tomb

"I did what I had to do to get out of the tomb. Now I'm reconsidering my alliance."

Stefan signed. "What do you know?"

She smirked.

"I know I want Klaus dead. You two want him dead for other reasons. Don't care. So, that puts me squarely on Team You. Besides, if Stefan here ever needs me to swap places with Ellie again... the fewer people know that I'm here, the better. Think about it, Stefan. Come on. Be smart."

Stefan nodded.

"Yeah. Never again. It's not like you can be used in the sacrifice. It doesn't really matter all that much to me. Damon, why don't you call Alaric... and let him know that his wife showed up on his girlfriend's doorstep? And demanding to speak to my girlfriend." Said Stefan.

Stefan emphasised the word girlfriend. He clicked his tongue and walked out.

Later, Alaric knocked on the Gilberts' door, and Elena answered it...

"Hey. Either one of them up yet?" He asked.

"Ellie's in the kitchen. Ellie, Alaric's here."

Ellie walked in. She looked terrible.

"Have you slept?" He asked, looking at Ellie.

"Do I look like I've slept? No. She won't come out of her room. I've been sitting outside her bedroom door ever since I slammed the door in Isobel's face. I've just come down for this." Ellie says, motioning to the coffee.

"What did you tell her?" He asked.

"Nothing. Absolutely nothing. She won't talk to me." Ellie tells him.

"We've gotta fix this, Ellie, Elena." He tells them.

Elena saw Jenna walking down the stairs.

"Hey." Elena says.

"Jenna. Come on, you gotta talk to us." Ellie said, looking at her.

"I don't want you here, Ric. You need to go." Jenna tells him.

"Look, I can't begin to imagine what you must be feeling right now." Alaric says.

"Rage and betrayal from all three of you." Jenna said, looking at them all.

"Where are you going?" Elena asked.

"Jenna... this isn't their fault. At least tell them where you're going." Alaric tells her.

"Fine. I'm going to stay on campus. I have a thesis to write, and I don't wanna be in this house." Said Jenna.

"Just stop. Let us explain to you exactly what is going on." Alaric tells her.

"Elena, I need you to go to Lockwood's today. Accept the Historical Society's check for your mom's foundation." Jenna says.

"So, what? You're speaking to Elena? You're just gonna ignore my existence." Ellie says.

"I don't have it in me to hear any more lies from you." Jenna tells Ellie.

"You know what? Fine. Totally cool. Bye." Ellie said rudely and stomped off to her room.

"She's going through some tough things right now, Jenna. I think you could at least try and support her. And be there for her. Who knows how long she's got."