ೃ⁀➷ xiii. not in denial

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

"byers's body was found in the water of this quarry by state police earlier this evening. it was discovered by state trooper david o'bannon, just after dark. the state police are mounting an investigation to determine byers' cause of death, but an initial inquiry..."

caroline choked a sob as she turned off the tv. she looked over at the kitchen counter and found her brother cooking them dinner. after the initial shock and explaining, steve told caroline to go to the living room while he fixed them some food.

"care, come to the table," steve said as he placed plates on their dining table. even without their parents, steve and caroline sat at their chairs, facing each other.

wiping her tears, caroline slightly made her way to her chair and sat down, looking at their food. steve cooked the easiest thing in their cupboard, pasta. "thanks, steve."

steve gave her a smile as he took his own seat and served himself some food. "i'm sorry, by the way... for saying jonathan could have killed will. i was just pissed."

"what happened between you guys, anyways?" caroline said, her mouth filled with noodles. on a normal occasion, steve would have reprimanded his sister. but now, he knew she could do with a distraction.

"you remember when nance, carol and tommy h were here? byers took a bunch of pictures of us. he even has one of you drinking beer. but the worst picture? he had one of nancy in her bra," steve explained and caroline's eyes widened.

"what?"

"mhm," steve nodded his head.

"no way jonathan would do that. not with everything on his plate, lately."

steve paused and lifted his head, "what would you know about jonathan byers?"

"i—" caroline shrugged. "we've talked. whenever he picked up will from the library, or something."

"uh-huh," steve said as he continued to eat.

caroline looked down at her noodles, playing with them rather than eating. silence loomed over the harrington siblings and the younger girl had nothing to distract herself with. and if she had nothing to distract her, she would think about how mike wheeler was right now.

she wondered if he was still angry at eleven, who dustin brought home. she wondered why the hell eleven would lie to them. and she wondered if will byers was truly gone.

"hey, byers," caroline said as she placed her bag on the chair beside her.

will, who was reading a comic book, looked up and smiled as caroline sat opposite to him. "hi, caroline."

her smile widened. caroline then took out her textbook when she suddenly remembered something, "by the way... sorry if i was rude to you at math, earlier."