ೃ⁀➷ ix. surrounded by douchebags and idiots

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

caroline harrington awkwardly sat in the back seat of barbara holland's car with nancy wheeler. she desperately had to get home because she had some homework she needed to do, not that she could tell mike and the others. she didn't want them to think she was behind on her academics; caroline had it all under control.

they didn't talk the entire ride. nancy was the one to break the silence when they were nearing the harrington household, however. "barbara, pull over."

"what?" even caroline stared at the back of nancy's head in confusion.

"pull over!"

"what are we doing here?" barbara said. "his house is three blocks away."

"we can't park in the driveway."

"are you serious?"

caroline just sits behind nancy in the back, watching the two of them converse as though she wasn't there. a part of her was sure they forgot about her.

"yeah, the neighbors might see," nancy said.

"this is so stupid," barbara says, shaking her head as nudges her head in caroline's direction. "i'm just gonna drop you two off." huh, maybe they didn't forget about me being here.

"calm down, barb. come on. you promised that you'd go. you're coming. we're gonna have a great time," nancy said, trying to reason with her friend.

"he just wants to get in your pants."

nancy wheeler chuckles. "no, he doesn't."

"yes, he does," caroline said, speaking for the first time, in a sing-song voice. the two girls look back at her direction and she shrugs. "he invited you to our house. mom and dad aren't home."

"tommy h. and carol are gonna be there."

"tommy and carol have been having sex since, like, seventh grade. it'll probably just be like a big orgy."

while nancy said, "gross." caroline scrunched her nose in disgust and shook her head repeatedly, trying to get the image out of her mind.

nancy starts to take off her clothes and caroline looks at barbara, alarmed, until she realized the older girl was probably going to change. "all right, well," nancy said. "you can be like my guardian. all right? make sure i don't get drunk and do anything stupid."

barbara shakes her head and sighs, which caroline guesses is her agreeing to it. she then teases the wheeler girl for having a new bra, or something like that. caroline couldn't hear much as she began pondering some things.

while she and will were friends, she, lucas and dustin were friendly, and she and mike had a weird friend-type-thing going on, caroline never had female friends. she wanted, though. she wanted to be able to ask for fashion advice and talk about boys.