ೃ⁀➷ xi. monster killer

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

mike wheeler had no idea where caroline harrington was. he had the same class as dustin and lucas before lunch so it was easy to head outside together, but the girl was nowhere to be seen. they couldn't waste time by looking for her, so they, instead, began looking for rocks for lucas' wrist rocket.

"how about this one?" mike said, showing dustin a rock.

"too big for the sling," dustin replied, shaking his head and throwing the rock on the ground. "so, do you think eleven was born with her powers, like the x-men, or do you think she acquired them, like... like green lantern?"

"she's not a superhero. she's a weirdo," lucas said, scoffing.

"why does that matter?" caroline said, suddenly appearing. "the x-men are weirdos. if you think about it, every superhero is a weirdo, in their own little way."

"where have you been?" dustin asked, seeing as they waited about ten minutes for her before deciding to start without her. "we agreed on finding rocks after lunch."

caroline shrugged. "i had to return a book," she then titled her head, her eyes focused on the trees surrounding them. "wait, be right back."

before any of them could reply, the harrington girl was already running and was soon out of sight. mike, however, couldn't stop staring at the spot she stood at, only a few seconds ago. "she knows x-men. caroline reads comics." muttered mike.

"if you love her so much, why don't you marry her?" lucas spat, annoyed at how he and caroline continued to defend the random girl that was suddenly in their life.

"what are you talking about?" mike said, rolling his eyes and playing dumb.

"mike, seriously?"

"what?"

"you look at her all, like...hi, caroline! caroline! caroline! caroline! i love you so much!" lucas then goes down on one knee and says, "would you marry me?"

mike pushed off his friend. "shut up, lucas."

then, an uninvited voice spoke, "yeah, shut up, lucas."

the three boys then turn and face two boys. caroline had told mike she liked to call them 'tweedle dee and tweedle dum' (or 'dumb and dumber' if she was lazy). mike had acquired the habit and began calling troy walsh and james dante said names.

"what are you losers doing back here?" tweedle dum—james dante—said. "probably looking for their missing friend."

"that's not funny. it's serious. he's in danger," dustin said, with a serious tone.

"i hate to break it to you, toothless, but he's not in danger. he's dead. that's what my dad says. he said he was probably killed by some other queer."

"i'm guessing you want to be next, then?" caroline harrington said, suddenly appearing, as she held her knees. the girl was out of breath from running towards the group. she went to the woods to look for the perfect rock, when she turned around and saw tweedle dee and tweedle dum talking with her friends. caroline ran as fast as she could. "just fuck off, would you, dante?"

tweedle dee and tweedle dum stared at caroling and then at the boys and then caroline. "you're seriously hanging out with these nerds?"

caroline tilts her head. "beats spending it inside your mom." troy raised his hand, ready to punch caroline, when she moved forward. "do it, try it. i just want to remind you that your dad works for my dad. and one day, you'll have to work for me, if you even graduate highschool, that is."

he lowers his raised fist and turns around. "let's go." the group of four watch the two boys walk away, with their heads low.

when they were out of ear shot, caroline turned back to her friends and smiled. "i found the perfect rock." she removed the rock from her pocket and showed it to them.

"yeah, this is it," mike said, taking it from caroline's hands and passing it around. they were now all smiling, as though tweedle dee didn't just say the thing they were fearing for the most; will being dead.

lucas nods his head as he inspects the rock. "oh, yeah. yeah, this is the monster killer!" 

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷D SPEAKS!

this is the first chapter dustin&lucas&mike are referred to as care's friends <3