ೃ⁀➷ viii. meatloaf and friends

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

after dinner, the group of four decided to go down the basement and bring eleven some meatloaf. while dustin and lucas were still hesitant to be near the girl, mike and caroline comfortably sat in front of her and the fort.

"no adults," mike said.

"just us and some meatloaf," caroline added as she placed the plate in front of eleven.

she looks up at the approaching—yet still hesitant—dustin henderson and lucas sinclair. mike traces where eleven's eyes are at and says, "don't worry. they won't tell anyone about you. they promise."

when no answers came from the two boys, caroline glared at them. "right?"

"we never would've upset you if we knew you had superpowers," dustin said and the redhead girl rolled her eyes as she hit his leg. "ow!"

hiding his laugh, mike turned back to eleven. "what dustin is trying to say is that they were just scared... earlier. that's all."

"we just wanted to find our friend," lucas said.

"friend?" eleven said.

"yeah, friend. will?"

"what is friend?"

"is she serious?" lucas asks dustin, who shrugs. "um, a friend—"

"is someone that you'd do anything for," mike interrupts lucas.

"you lend them your cool stuff, like comic books and trading cards," dustin added.

"and they never break a promise," mike said, smiling.

"especially when there's spit," lucas adds.

furrowing her eyebrows, eleven asks, "spit?"

"a spit swear means," lucas spits on his hand, to demonstrate for eleven, and then claps hands with dustin. caroline slaps her mouth with her own hand, to prevent from laughing. she and mike make eye contact as they try to hold their laughter at dustin's face. "you never break your word. it's a bond."

"that's super important, because friends, they tell each other things," mike said. "things that parents don't know."

as eleven was about to talk, the basement door opens. caroline rushes to cover the fort as the four boys run towards the table, where she assumes they play d&d.

nancy wheeler stands on the top of the staircase and slowly descends, oblivious to the other young girl in the room as she stares at caroline, "you asked for a ride?"

caroline's furrowed eyebrows shift to widened eyes as she turns to mike, "i said your sister for a ride home since i don't wanna bike."

"oh," mike said. a part of him wished caroline could sleepover again, but he knew he couldn't ask her to stay as his sister stood there. "you can leave your bike here. i can bring it to school tomorrow."

"okay, cool," caroline said, grinning. she turned to nancy and nodded, prompting the older girl to walk out of the basement. as the harrington girl was about to follow suit, she turned to the three boys, "tell me about whatever you guys plan tomorrow."

once the door closed, mike walked over to the fort and opened, revealing a sad looking eleven. "did care...leave?"

"yeah, she had to go home," mike said. "sucks for her, since her douchebag brother invited my sister to his house. i doub't she'll get any sleep." dustin and lucas look at each other and then at their friend, who looked at them defensively. "not that i care if she sleeps or not! we need her awake if we're going to find will tomorrow."

"uh-huh," dustin said, rolling his eyes.

eleven turns to mike, "you and care...not friends?"

mike blinks as he stares at the space caroline harrington was just standing on a few seconds ago. "we're friends."

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷D SPEAKS!

okay i know this is super short and super boring but yall are just lucky to get a chapter rn. i rarely use my computer on weekends but im having a mike&caroline brainrot rn so yeah