Café Lovers Pt 1

Soulmate au (❤️❤️❤️), written in first person for once as I'm practicing to get better at it!

All the drinks mentioned in this are one's I like, particularly Iced Chocolate, and recommend for others to try :]

Tw: Cafe, drinks (like coffee, iced chocolate etc.), subtle rejection 

The clock engraved into my wrist gave a gentle drum of a beat as the seconds ticked down. It was a quiet sound, the only noise of the changing digits being in the dead of night with the only other sound present in my room was the ticking of the air-conditioning as it struggled to adjust the room to the correct temperature.

It was the only source of comfort supplied to me as I anxiously watched it tick down while sitting in that coffee shop. It had been a spontaneous decision to go there this morning, only recently realising the clock read that I'd meet my soulmate at that location.

Many people never met theirs, their clocks displaying hundreds of years between the time they would, knowing they'd meet in another life. Which seemed counter-intuitive to me, knowing your soulmate was supposedly someone perfect for you, someone you would fall in love within every universe. Sometimes they changed upon making an unexpected decision that fate hadn't considered, getting longer or shorter afterwards.

I knew that had been what had happened to my own, not remembering such a short period of time being inscribed into my wrist. 00:02:38 was the specific number, it slowly decreasing every second. (Hour, minute, seconds)

My breath hitched as I watched it trickle down to the one-minute mark, then thirty seconds, then twenty. As my soulmate was about to meet me for this first time, a waiter stopped at my table, expressing his curiosity for my long-discarded cutlery and kitchenware.

A tingle sparked across my wrist as he stopped, me knowing he was my soulmate. He froze for a moment as well, before disregarding it and continuing with his job.

I nodded absently, looking up at the man, tired green eyes bore into my own brown ones, dirty blonde hair falling across his forehead in an unkempt manor. He wore black jeans and the cafés signature white shirt, a derpy faced coffee icon etched into the pocket square. My heart dropped upon also noticing the large band aid spread across his right wrist, the supposed location of his clock countdown.

He didn't care for soulmates.

It was a subtle way of letting others know. A universal one too. In kinder terms, it meant that the person either wasn't interested in a soulmate, already having a partner, or didn't care for love/ was aromatic, although usually aromatic's had platonic soulmates as apposed to romantic ones, so I doubted it was the case for this. 

I found it as a 'No, I don't want to see if we're soulmates, fuck off' movement.

It hurt, but I respected his wishes, so I just smiled weakly at him, keeping my own wrist hidden from view. I took one last glance at the man as he disappeared into the kitchen area of the café before leaving the place.

🍵

I shouldn't be back here.

But the temptation to return overpowered my knowledge too stay away.

'I'm just getting an iced-chocolate.' I reasoned with my mind. 'Niki mentioned they're good, and I want to try one. Nothing to do with my waiter soulmate.'

Niki turned out to be, in fact, correct; ice-chocolates were everything she hyped them up to be. And that was why I went again, the next day. And after that.

Taking recommendations from my friends on different drinks to buy and try. Sometimes I brought a few of them with me. Sapnap was the first to notice something was wrong.