|| #6: t-shirt ||

When Kathy awoke the next morning, she felt an unfamiliar warmth against her back. When she tried to turn over to get a look, a pair of tattoo covered arms stopped her.

Eddie Munson was cuddled up to her. She didn't mind, it was particularly chilly in his trailer so she welcomed him being her personal heater.

Pulling on his left hand that was draped over her waist, she looked at the time on his watch. 6:03am. She still had time to get ready for school, but then she remembered that she'd lied to her father the night before. She had no clean clothes. Shit.

The boy behind her must've felt her tenseness, and he groaned as he woke up. "What's up your ass- Jesus." He mumbled had he removed his arms from her waist and rubbed his face. She missed his touch.

"Nothing I just- have no clothes, or like, anything." She informed him worriedly.
"Just borrow a shirt and wear the shorts you wore yesterday, I don't mind." She was nervous. His clothes weren't exactly her style.

Reluctantly, she got up from the comfort of Eddies bed and started to rummage through his closet while Eddie strolled to the bathroom. Eventually she found a suitable, plain, grey shirt that was slightly tattered.

Without thinking, she removed the shirt Eddie had already gifted her and went to put the new one on. She heard the door open, and she rushed to cover her almost naked chest.

"Shit, sorry!" Eddie yelled before he slammed the door again. Kathy's face was flushed red, and she took a moment for her embarrassment to wash away. Taking a shaky breath, she fully dressed herself.

"You can come in now!" Hesitantly, Eddie entered his room again with apologetic eyes.
"I'm really sorry, sweetheart." He repeated.
"It's okay, Eddie, really. How were you supposed to know I was half naked." The girl shrugged it off, and the atmosphere returned back to semi-normal.

"Let me get dressed and I'll give you a ride." Eddie offered while looking through his closet like she did moments ago.
"Nah, it's ok. I can walk."
"From here? Your feet will be bleeding, princess." She desperately wanted to accept his offer, but she knew they'd both never hear the end of it from Steve and his pack of assholes.

"Seriously, I need to walk off those milkshakes." She joked, he looked upset, like he knew the real reason, but he didn't act on it.

"Okay, don't die on the way?" Kathy nodded in reply and grabbed her bag she'd brought her study notes in before wishing her metal head friend goodbye.

——————————————————

When Kathy finally arrived at Hawkins High, panting and heaving, she heard the first bell go off. She hadn't had any time to talk to Willow or give Steve annoyed glances, nothing.

After her breath calmed down to only a slight wheeze she headed inside the building. Monday was always the worst day of the week, and it was because her first period was history.

She begrudgingly sat down at her desk, ready to listen to Mrs. Smith talk about fighter jets for an hour. The memory of Eddie trying to sing about the subject did put a smile on her face, sweetening her mood and completely taking her attention the whole class.

When lunch finally rolled around, she headed over to the table the jocks reserved for themselves. "Where were you this morning?" Willow questioned, obviously not happy with the absence of her friend.

"Woke up late." Kathy excused.
"Bullshit, I take you and El every morning, you weren't there!" Willow yelled angrily, not pleased with her friends lies.
"I'm sorry, Willow. What matters is that I'm here now." Kathy wanted to drop this so she could just sit there and listen to the chit chat of Steve's friends.

"Who's shirt is that?" Willow asked abruptly.
"What?"
"Who's shirt is that, because it's not yours. I've raided your closet too many times. Were you with a boy?" The dark haired girl raised her eyebrow.

"I wasn't with a boy, it's a new shirt." The dirty blonde defended herself.
"It's practically falling apart, Kath!" Willow looked like she was about to go on, but a certain redhead appeared from behind Kathy's shoulder.

"Uhm, Kathy. Can I ask you something?" Max quietly spoke. Kathy looked back at Willow with a triumphant expression, thankful the freshman had interrupted her interrogation.
"Ask away."

"Why were you at the trailer park yesterday?" Kathy's face fell.
"You were at the trailer park!" Willow shrieked, alerting the entire lunch hall. Kathy bolted out of there, embarrassment making her eyes water and her face flush.

She ran all the way to the library, her happy place, before hiding in the very corner where nobody would be able to find her. She knew Willow had no ill intentions, but the whole of Hawkins High didn't need to know her business.

Kathy hid in the library for the rest of the day, only leaving her corner when the final bell went off, signalling the end of the school day. As she exited the school she realised she didn't have a ride home.

Willow surely wouldn't want to drive her back after her demonstration at lunch. Suddenly, Kathy felt a hand on her shoulder, before a raspy voice came to her rescue.

"Need a ride?"

——————————————————

a/n sorry this is slightly shorter, I had a nightmare of a day yesterday and wasn't motivated to write. Also left this in a cliffhanger 💀 place your bets as to who our mystery man is!