Sick days - Jay Halstead

Jay would never admit that he was sick. He hated it when he had to stay home from work and do nothing all day. So he never mentioned when he was sick. This morning when he woke up, he felt that he had a cold. You were still asleep, so he decided to get up and leave for work early.

When you arrived at the district, Jay was sitting behind his desk. "You left early," you mentioned.

"Yeah, I realized I had some paperwork to catch up on," his voice sounded hoarse.

You raised your eyebrow. "Are you sick?"

Jay didn't look up. That said enough to you.

"You thought you could just sneak out, and I wouldn't notice?" you sat down on your chair and rolled it closer to Jay. You put your hand on your forehead, which he quickly pushed away.

"I'm fine. It's only a soar throat."

"Then look at me."

Jay turned his head and looked at you. The bags under his eyes and his red nose told you it was more than just a soar throat.

"If you say so." You rolled your chair back to your own desk and started working.

None of the team seemed to notice how bad Jay was getting. You could see throughout the day that his movements became slower. He was quiet, even though he tried to hide it all.

"We've got an address," Adam said, naming the suspect's address. The team rushed out. You looked at Jay. He got up from his chair, and you could see the light going out in his eyes. He fell to the ground.

"You coming?" Voight asked. Then he noticed Jay's body on the ground.

"I got him. Go!" you said as you hurried over to Jay. "Jay, wake up, babe." You shook his shoulders. You grabbed your phone out of your pocket and called his brother.

"Y/N, what's up?"

"Can you maybe bring some fluids to the district? Jay passed out because he's sick, and he's too stubborn to admit it," you asked.

"You should get him here if he's really that sick."

You sighed. That was what you were afraid of. "As soon as he wakes up, I'll drag him to the hospital."

"Alright. See you then."

You hung up the phone and put it in your pocket again.

Slowly Jay woke up. Because he was half out of it, you managed to get him off the floor and take him to the car.

"Where are we going?" he mumbled.

"Home," you lied.

You climbed in the car and drove to the hospital.

Will was already waiting for you when you arrived.

"Y/N, this is the freaking hospital," Jay groaned.

"Yes. You passed out because you're that sick. Will is just going to check you out."

You got out of the car and walked into the ED with Jay. With a grumpy face, Jay laid down on the bed. Will did some checks. Jay had a fever, and he was severely dehydrated. He got some fluids and medicine to bring the fever down.

"How long do I have to stay?" Jay asked.

"Until the bag is empty. Probably an hour or two. So get comfortable," Will said.

"There is no getting comfortable in a hospital," Jay mumbled.

Will rolled his eyes.

"Thanks, Will," you said.

"Any time." Will walked out of the room.

"Can you please come lay next to me so I can get somewhat comfortable?" Jay asked as he made a place for you on the bed. You chuckled but kicked off your shoes and laid down next to him.

"You should've just brought me home," Jay mumbled.

"Jay, you passed out. I'm going to take you to the hospital before I take you home. Maybe there was something else going on."

"I still hate it here."

"I know."