Burn - Jay Halstead

It was one of those days when nothing went right. When you had to get out of bed this morning, your alarm didn't go off. Next, you wanted to take a warm shower, but there was only cold water. You did almost every thing wrong at work by making the most stupid mistakes. Now you were cooking dinner, and you burned your hand. You wanted to have a nice dinner with your boyfriend, who would be home any minute from work. Just as you tried to put the pan on the table, your hand touched the side, and it hurt like hell. You held your hand under water while leaning with your head against the counter. The pain was so bad. Tears were in your eyes. You tried to breathe the pain away, but it didn't work. You knew the pain would be less in a few hours, but this was just hell.

"Hey. Are you okay? What happened?"

You turned around and saw your boyfriend, Jay, closing the apartment door behind him. "I'm fine. It's just a burn."

"You don't look fine." Jay walked over to you and looked at your hand. It was already swollen more than you expected.

"Come on. I'll take you to Will."

"No, there is no need for a hospital. I'll just stand here for another few minutes. The pain will pass." You put your hand back underwater. Jay, for once, didn't argue. You stood with your hand underwater for another 20 minutes. Afterwards, you sat at the table and ate the almost cold food. Jay did the dishes while you prayed that the pain would stop. It only felt like it was getting worse.

"Maybe we should see Will," you mumbled when Jay finished the dishes.

"Still hurting that much?"

"Yeah.." A tear escaped your eyes.

"Alright, let's go then," Jay said softly.

Arriving at the ER, you got to see Will immediately.

"How did you manage to do this?" he asked as he took a look at your hand.

"Tried to cook. Not doing that again, that's for sure."

Will chuckled. "It isn't that bad. I'll put some cream on it, and the pain should be fading away. If not, just take some medicine." Will grabbed the cream. "Jay, you might want to hold her hand."

Jay grabbed your good hand, and Will gently started to rub the cream on it. You squeezed Jay's hand so tight that you thought it would fall off at some point.

"God, you might as well put a hot pan against it again. That hurt like hell," you breathed out once Will was done.

"Sorry, but this should make it feel better."

"I know. Thanks, Will."

"No problem. I'll see you guys tomorrow at Molly's?"

"Definitely," Jay said.

You said goodbye to Will and then went back home.

"Next time, I'll cook dinner," Jay said.

"I think take-out would be better," you chuckled.

"Touche."