You have a nightmare - Jay Halstead x Connor Rhodes

Your own death never scared you. But the death of the people you loved? That was your worst fear. Having a boyfriend who worked as a detective, it was basically in the job description that he would get hurt. You were somewhat prepared for that. Your brother, on the other hand, not some much. He was doctor Connor Rhodes at Chicago Med. It should be a safe place. People get better there; they don't get hurt. You were bringing lunch over when it happened.

"I know you forgot your lunch, so I brought it to you," you smiled as you placed his lunch in front of him.

"My sweetest sister, always taking care of me," he grinned. He grabbed the lunch and started eating.

"How has your day been so far?"

"Good. Saved some lives, nothing too fancy. You?"

"It's good. I like having days off."

"Nah, you're just lazy."

"No, I just enjoy not having any responsibilities for one day."

Connor rolled his eyes but laughed. He got up to through the empty box away when it happened. "Get down!"

You immediately jump off your chair and let yourself fall to the ground. You heard four loud shots. You heard glass breaking. People were screaming. You looked up to see where your brother was. He was lying on the ground in a pool of blood.

"Connor!" you yelled and rushed over to him. You saw one wound where you put pressed on. You had no idea where all the blood was coming from. "Come on, stay with me," you said to your brother.

He looked at you, but you could see the life slipping away from him.

"Don't leave me, Connor. Come on, stay with me." Tears rolled down your cheek. Lifeless eyes stared at you. You left out a heartbreaking cry, one that went through marrow and bone. Blood was spreading all around you. His blood was all over you. He was gone.

You jolted awake. You looked next to you and saw that your boyfriend, Jay, was still asleep. You quickly grabbed your phone from the nightstand and walked over to the living room, where you sat down in the corner next to the window. You looked out over the city as you were calling your brother. You had no idea if it was a nightmare or a memory. Ever since you were a little kid, you had these vivid nightmares that felt so real. Sometimes you would wake up screaming in pain because of what happened in your nightmare. It felt so real to you that it sometimes took hours to convince you that nothing was wrong. Once you got older and started living on your own, it was harder sometimes. You always called Connor because you knew he could help. If you were crying in pain, he would convince you it was not real. If it were so scary, he would make you feel safe. Right now, all you needed was to hear his voice. You needed him to tell you that he was still alive, that nothing happened. The phone rang, but nobody picked up.

"Come on," you whispered.

"This is Connor Rhodes. I'm not able to answer the phone right now."

You hung up. He didn't pick up the phone. Did it happen? You tried to call him again, but there was no answer. Maybe you should go to med. They would know. You quickly put on your shoes and a coat and rushed down the street. It was one of the perks of living so close to the hospital.

You walked into the ED. April was the first one to notice you. You were still in your pyjamas, and you looked confused. "Y/N, are you okay?" she asked.

You looked up at her. "April, thank god. Is my brother here? Is Connor here?"

"No... Y/N, are you okay?"

"Where is he?"

April shook her shoulders. "It's the middle of the night. Why are you looking for Connor?"

"I just... I need to talk to him. He isn't picking up his phone, and he isn't here." The panic started. It could be that he was just at home asleep, but what you saw was so real that you were so confused. "Thanks anyways," you mumbled before walking away.

You tried calling Connor again and again while walking to his apartment. It wasn't that far, but it felt like you were walking for hours.

Finally, your phone rang, but it wasn't Connor. Jay was calling you. You quickly picked up.

"Y/N, where the hell are you?" he asked as soon as you picked up the phone.

"I'm on my way to Connor's place. Did I wake you up? I'm sorry. I'm okay. Go back to bed."

"No, Y/N. April called me. She said you were standing in the ED in your pyjamas, and to her, it looked like you were on something. Did you have a nightmare again?"

"I don't know. I just need to talk to Connor."

"Are you outside right now?"

"Yeah, I'm almost at his place."

"I'm coming to pick you up."

"Okay." You hung up the phone and walked up the steps to Connor's door. You rang the bell, but nobody answered. What the hell? You rang the bell again, and at the same time, you were calling him.

After what felt like ages, the door finally opened. A sleepy Connor looked at you, confused. "Y/N, what the hell are you doing here? It's the middle of the night."

"Tell me that I'm awake, that you're okay and that you are not dead."

"What?"

You heard a car door closing behind you. You didn't pay attention to it; it was probably Jay.

"I saw you getting shot. I pressed down on one wound, but I heard four shots. There was so much blood. You stared at me with your lifeless eyes. Tell me that it was a dream and that you are okay! I'm losing my mind!" you almost yelled at him.

It took a while for Connor to realize what was happening. You had another nightmare again.

"I'm okay," Connor said. He stepped outside and pulled you into a hug. "Nothing has happened to me. You had a nightmare. We're both okay."

"Why didn't you pick up your phone?" you mumbled in his chest.

"I didn't hear it. Maybe the battery is dead."

You sighed. That would explain a lot. "Sorry for waking you up."

"No, don't apologize. You can always wake me up, you know that. You should go home with Jay. Get some rest, and I'll call you in the morning, okay?" He kissed you on the top of your head.

"Alright. You might have to deal with April as well. She thought I was on something when I showed up in the ED."

Connor chuckles. "I'll deal with April. Don't worry about it. Now, go home. I'll talk to you tomorrow." Connor stepped back inside.

You turned around and saw Jay leaning against the car.

"Thanks for picking her up," Connor said to him.

"Anytime," Jay replied.

You walked over to Jay and hopped in the car. The car ride home was silent.

Once you got home, you laid down in bed and snuggled up against Jay.

"You could've woken me up, you know," Jay mumbled against the side of your head.

"I know. But you have been so busy, and you needed your sleep. I didn't expect that I would go out of the house. The plan was just to call Connor, and I would go back to bed."

"Still. You can always wake me up, whatever it is."

"I'll keep that in mind."

Jay pressed a kiss on your cheek and started playing with your hair until you fell asleep.