chapter forty-six ~ the cache

After spending a full twelve hours reflecting on everything that had just happened and recovering from the initial shock, Sophie pulled herself off her bed and made her way to the window, the shimmering cache cradled in both her hands.

It was midnight, and she hadn't managed to sleep yet, but Sophie had drawn to the conclusion that she didn't need it.

Now that the cache had been activated with Kenric's tears, sweat and blood, Sophie brought herself to use the password Kenric had told her. Sophie wasn't sure how he knew it, but he did, and now she must use it.

Part of her was terrified of what she might find. What did this have to do with Keefe, and how was it going to help him? What if there were more forgotten horrors of his past?

What if his mind broke again?

The other half only had a small bit of curiosity, which made her feel even more ashamed.

"Alright," Sophie whispered, taking a big, deep breath. "Emberstone."

The first glittering secret lit up, illuminating her bedroom, until the projection of some sort of memory flickered above the cache. With full color, Sophie could see that the memory was being viewed from a high vantage point, because she was looking down at two people's heads.

One of them wore a black cloak over her head, so at first Sophie wasn't sure who it was until she spotted her tall black, high-heeled boats.

The other had a shock of white-blond hair and a sneer on his face.

Gethen sighed impatiently.

"If you would just listen to me," Lady Gisela pleaded, "I know this is going to work, I've seen it before!"

"A quick reminder," Gethen chuckled, "that no-one believes you, and you don't have any proof."

"I heard it from the woman herself," Gisela said coldly. "She has informed of my past."

It must have been another of Kenric's cameras, Sophie guessed. She leaned further towards the cache, intrigued.

"That elf is Ancient!" Gethen said. "She is lying to you! You could not have gotten anywhere near stellarlune if your parents had tried!"

Lady Gisela raised to hand to silence him.

"It's a myth!" Gethen said to her.

"I still have a bit of that magsidian, if you'd like proof," Lady Gisela asserted. "And it still has hints of ethertine in it. Every time I touch it, I get a strange empowering feeling and I'm suddenly stronger for the rest of the day."

"Your child isn't going to be competent," Gethen grumbled. "They will rebel. They won't like what you're doing. I think we should try the fires instead."

"The fires in question will destroy our land!" Lady Gisela spat. "The only way you think is possible is the easiest, but if you just opened your eyes and realized this opportunity..."

She began to pace the small, dimly lit corridor. Gethen rolled his eyes at her. The camera moved so that it could see them better.

"Gisela," Gethen said sternly. "The fires will help us to rehabilitate the land once the humans are gone. Then, the other elves will idolize us! We'll gain a following of our own and then no one will turn against us! Your plan will sacrifice too much of our hard work."

"You are deluded," Lady Gisela said.

"I'm just letting you know that this isn't going to work," Gethen laughed. "And when your child dies trying to fight you, it'll all have been a waste."