Chapter Thirty-Two

Start from the beginning

          "Is something going on between you and Vincent?" My friend asked as she scrolled through the pictures.

          "No."

          "Liar."

          I rolled my eyes. "There's nothing going on--"

          Gracie looked over her shoulder and her brown eyes were filled with amusement. "Carson," she said. "I'm your best friend; I can obviously tell when you're in love. The way you look at Vincent now reminds me of how you used to look at him in grade nine."

          I didn't say anything.

          "Are you in love again?"

          What was the use?

          I might as well have a girl-talk with Gracie.

          I sat up and heaved out a heavy sigh. "Yeah," I mumbled.

          "So are you guys really a couple now?" Gracie raised her eyebrows at me.

          I shook my head. "What's the point?" I asked, as I leaned against the backboard of my bed while staring at the ceiling. "Ever After are starting their world tour next month and me and Vincent's two-month deal will be coming to an end soon. I won't be part of his life anymore and he won't be part of mine either."

          Gracie just chuckled.

          My head snapped in my friend's direction.

          "What?" I asked, annoyed.

          Gracie looked at me and shrugged. "As a best friend," she said, slowly. "Can I tell you the cold hard truth right now?"

          "Depends on how cold and hard the truth is,' I countered with a grin.

          Gracie playfully rolled her eyes. "You what your problem is, Carson?" She asked. "You like taking the easy way out-- you're never willing to fight for what  really want."

          I stared at my friend, insulted. "I take the easy way out? What the hell? Do you know how long I've been working--"

          "You gave up your dream of being a musician just to please your father," Gracie cut me off. "You didn't even try to make it big like Vincent did. You just took the easy way out and did as you were told by your father. Now, here you have a guy you're willing to let go off the second time around? Remember that time when we were in grade nine and you refused to tell Vincent about your true feelings for him before he left for New York City because you were thinking the same thing you're thinking now? 'Oh, he'll meet other girls and blah, blah, blah'." Gracie just shook her head. "You want to take the easy way out this time again because you're scared."

          "Scared about what?" I countered.

          "That he'll hurt you," Gracie snapped. "I've seen the way he's looked at you! He looks like lovesick puppy-- following you around the school and stealing you away from your friends just so he can kiss you! God, Carson. If you two love each other, give it a shot before you turn it down!"

          I rolled my eyes. "What's the point--"

          "You always ask that!" Gracie nearly shouted. "Instead of thinking with your head, why don't you think with your heart instead?"

          I stared my best friend. "This isn't some cliche chick-flick, Grace. And you know what? Vincent's a jerk anyway-- he decided to start his world tour the night of my Debut at the ACC. He even forgot June 7th was my birthday!"