Chapter 23 - the fight

Start from the beginning

I'm the first in the car, which prompts me to put the headphones in, keep the sunglasses on even though it's dark so my face doesn't seem quite so horrible, and pull the cap low in my face.

Leigh-Anne is the first to join me. She eyes me anxiously as I just turn away from her, ignoring her presence. I see her disappointed and hurt expression, but right now I'm so caught up in my anger that I can't change anything about my behaviour.

Without a word, she hands me a bottle of water, which I accept just as silently, before she turns to her phone herself and we lapse into an awkward silence.

Jesy is the next to sit down in the car.

"How's your head, Poopey?" she asks me as she sits down opposite me. I just give a thumbs up in reply, to which the other two give each other a questioning look.

"Not very chatty tonight," Leigh explains tersely and Jesy just shakes her head, seemingly annoyed with me and my behaviour, which I can't even blame her for.

Finally Perrie joins us and we leave for the airport. She sits down in the one empty seat next to me, but, unlike usual, she doesn't touch me immediately, doesn't give me her hand and doesn't put an arm around my shoulders. She doesn't even look at me and I catch a glimpse of her red, puffy eyes. I did that and it feels horrible.

"What kind of ice age is this?" asks Jesy annoyed when she notices our uncharacteristic reserve.

"Jes," Leigh-Anne whispers indignantly, slapping her thigh to silence her, but I know Jesy, she won't hear any of it and judging by the look on her face, she's finally losing patience with us right now.

"No, Lee Lee. I've had enough of this. I'm tired of this shit here. Perrie, Jade: answers. Why aren't you two talking? What just happened?" she then asks loudly and full of anger.

"Nothing," I say meekly, which seems to upset Perrie even more.

"Yeah right, nothing," she repeats, shaking her head. "No big deal. She just broke up with me."

"YOU DID WHAT?!", Jesy yells at me, stunned.

"You really like to talk today," I say bitterly, not looking at her.

"You're right about that and I'm happy to continue. Do you want to tell them why you broke up with me or should I?" she follows up just as angrily.

"I swear to God, Perrie, don't you dare," I threaten, finally glaring at her and meeting equally dark eyes. But to my surprise, this time she remains silent.

"Another secret then? Unbelievable, you two really didn't hear the shot," Jesy retorts. "We're in a fucking band! How can you keep giving us so little respect?"

"Some things are bigger than the band," Perrie then says, earning an aghast look from all three of us.